Hi Peat,

Thanks for the very detailed information!

So it seems that there are a few issues showing up in the data set that you linked to. First, from 7:30 AM until 9:17 AM I see something that looks a bit like low-level bandwidth saturation (I am looking at the data in the 3-hr trace graph view). This starts at hop #1 (which I'm guessing is your router). There is a bit of packet loss but not a lot and much of it seems like it starts at hop #2 or #3.

Second, after 9:17 AM the latency drops down and stays lowish 80-100 ms to the final hop (not bad for hopping the pond). The packet loss on the other hand goes way up and intensifies throughout the day starting at hop #2 primarily and going through to the final hop. Your router is dropping a few packets here and there but nothing to worry about. At 10:00 pm the PL clearly tapers down and there are fewer packets being lost (likely because there is less traffic).

For the first issue, I'd suggest tracing to your router IP address (192.168.1.1) the IP address of the machine you're running PingPlotter on (on Windows open CMD -> type ipconfig and likely look the IPv4 address. On Mac open System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced -> TCP/IP -> look for the IPV4 address), and finally, the loopback address of your machine (127.0.0.1) just to rule out any internal issues with the TCP stack. If the issue is present on your machine IP or the loopback address then it's an issue with that computer/NIC. If not, then it's an issue originating at your router.

For the second issue, since it's likely not in your network you'll need to work with the ISP to get someone to test the line from the street to your house and then look at hop #2 (78.144.1.1) which belongs to TalkTalk (https://whois.domaintools.com/78.144.1.1). Once you've ruled out the line the data that you linked to should make a clear case for the ISP to take a look at that device to see why it is dropping so many packets. Here is an image URL of what I have been looking at which may also help.

Another random thought would be to have some of your neighbors run PingPlotter too (free 14-day trial!) and see if they get similar results with hop #2. We have had several customers do this exact thing to prove to the ISP that it's a bigger problem than just one person's line/equipment. Just a thought...

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with and also how it goes!

Thanks,

-Poe