Hi,
I don't have huge knowledge about this so hopefully Im not missing something quite obvious here..

I have been having prolonged but very hard to prove issues with internet for the past year and half (well ever since we moved here). The issue is that some of the days (sometimes 5 out of the week, sometimes only 1 out of fortnight) I lose internet connection after midnight for some time... generally it's about an hour but I can't say it's always like this. What is really odd about it is, that the router is still saying I have connection (all lights are green) yet nothing connected to internet works... no tv, mobile phone, laptop, nothing... ISP always say they cannot see any interruption in connection and I cannot prove any issues..

I have been looking for some monitoring tool for ages, even tried to write my own script to log for me the times when connection fails but then I came across PingPlotter ...

I have monitoring set up and it has been running well and here and there showing some crazy graphs but in general there had been no outages (apart from when we had short power failure at which point it was inevitable of course..)

However tonight I managed to finally capture the network behaviour during one of these outages.... at around 00:04 my internet stopped working on my phone so I went to check what is PingPlotter showing and I was surprised to see that there were currently only 4 hops (when usually I had around 10) and was really quite surprised that although I really had no internet, the plotter was still all in green and seemingly happy with everything.. This situation was happening for an hour and thdn at 1:04 the internet came back...

The odd and 'invisible' outage had precisely coincided with when the target name www.google.com changed from 216.58.206.132 to 62.24.138.17 and then spot on hour later it changed again from 62.24.138.17 to 216.58.206.132 . At this point the number of hops gone back to normal 10ish and internet was fine again...

Would you have ANY idea what is going on? Why does PingPlotter still have information making it believe I have internet pouring in when in fact I have none? Why are there only 4 hops? Any suggestions on what can I do about it?

I have attached the monitoring file from last few days which in the last just over an hour is showing the change of IP address and number of hops but is not showing internet outage and also some screenshots just to show what our connectivity was like at the time of the outage and shortly afterwards.

Any help will be much appreciated
Thank you x

Attachments
www.google.com ending 13.01. 1am.pp2 (377 downloads)
Outage1.JPG (73 downloads)
Outage2.jpg (75 downloads)
Outage3.jpg (86 downloads)

Edited by Maya (01/13/20 05:48 PM)