Hello, I have been having an issue with my internet for over a year now and it has gotten to be a point where it is unbearable.
I have a Linksys WRT3200 Router and a Arris CM820a Modem with download speed of 50mbs and upload speed around 8-10. I have the issue of when playing online video games I will have a ping below 50 and then pings upwards of 400 which will last anywhere from 10 seconds to a couple of minutes. I have done multiple tests and have no clue as to what is causing this issue.
First, I attempted to see if the servers were the issue for the games. However, no matter what, if the server was in my region or far from me, I still get random ping spikes on multiple different games. Second, I attempted to see if maybe something was interfering with my wireless connection so I went to play via ethernet. Still, I am getting constant ping spikes. Third, I attempted shifting my router position to a more open area as far away as I could from speakers, tvs, etc. in hopes of getting away from interference; still getting ping spikes. Fourth, I tried to see if it was my ISP but it can't be as I am able to load videos extremely well, surf the web with no load times, and overall have a good internet experience besides playing online games. Lastly, I attempted looking for firmware updates on my router, hard resetting, and checking on multiple pcs and consoles but still I am getting ping spikes. I am ripping my hair out on this issue and have no clue what could be the issue. Anyone have any ideas what I could do next or what could be the issue with my Internet. Attached should be the two results I got using an ethernet point and wireless on PingPlotter. As you can see, I am getting random spikes and little bit of packet loss. Any ideas as to what is causing this issue, what kind of issue it is, and how to fix it?
Edit: I have correlated that when playing a game and noticing lag, I immediately look at the data on pingplotter running in the background and also see the latency spike as well. Also, an ISP technician also tested this issue and also noticed these latency spikes as well.

Attachments
Ping Plotter Data (Wireless).png (504 downloads)
Ping Plotter Data (Ethernet).png (314 downloads)

Edited by vilanovam (06/26/17 06:08 PM)