I whipped together a little program to compare the timer response (from GetTickCount and QueryPerformanceCounter) from the different CPUs on our test machine that is having problems.

After being turned on for 30 days, the two cores report time differences of about 2.1 seconds. Oddly, the rate of change in the clock is significantly higher at 30 days than it is over the average (right now, the rate of change is to get about a second of variance every 8 days, where it's closer to 15 days for the entire period).

After a reboot, the rate of change is currently 1 second in 130 days, so the problem seems to get worse over time.

I'm not sure what to do with this information. I have a little utility that will report back these times, and will estimate the number of days it will take based on the variation from boot and also the variation when running (it seems to be pretty accurate after collecting data point over 10 minutes or so). If anyone wants this, email support@nessoft.com and ask for it. If we get enough interest, I'll put it out on our servers someplace.

Our test machine is using a NForce4 based KN1 Extreme motherboard with a dual core AMD-64 3800+. I updated to the latest bios and it didn't seem to help.

- Pete