Topic Options
#8 - 03/20/99 04:20 PM Stale data
David Cook Offline

I've noticed that if a major network outtage occurs where it goes to 9999 for<br>a bunch of routers for a LONG period of time - that ping plotter doesn't<br>ever recover. It seems to always see them as down. I have to stop and restart<br>ping plotter.<br><br>This ONLY happens occassionally - and is not reproducable in any easy way. Note<br>that I do run ping ploter for weeks straight - but this does not seem tied<br>to length of run more than tied to stability of the internet. I've ONLY<br>seen it do this when the internet has been majorly down.<br><br><br><br>

#9 - 03/20/99 05:15 PM Re: Stale data [Re: David Cook]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
That's currently what I think is one of the most major shortcomings of Ping Plotter currenty - its inability to track/recover from route changes. Basically, once it gets a route, it just decides that route is correct - and keeps plugging in values. This means it has problems when the route has changed after a network failure - which is usually how network failures are recovered (by rerouting data packets).<br><br>I have the next release working with the ability to track changes. The problem is the user interface - how are these changes represented. I hope to get this handled pretty soon.<br><br>BTW, the latest beta (version 2.03.1 beta 4) handles *some* of these issues when the network comes back up with the same route - it should work correctly *most* of the time. It's still not right, though... <br><br>Thanks for the question - it's a good one!<br><br>Pete<br><br>

#10 - 06/14/99 09:26 PM Re: Stale data [Re: David Cook]
jar Offline

I was going to ask the same question. The route died, and I had no <br>way of getting ping plot to use the new route. I think a new tracert should <br>be done whenever a hop times out more than, say, 2 times in a row. <br><br>The user interface IS a problem here. I guess I would just like the top part to <br>change to the new route, but the overall statistics to be maintained.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod