Topic Options
#464 - 03/13/01 01:52 PM Improper expansion of hop list
Joe_G Offline

Last night I installed beta 3. I started it with two timelines on a 15-hop route. After it had been running for a few minutes I was startled to see the list of hops expand and the window extend down over the top timeline. The display quickly returned to normal, but I believe the extended list was showing some of the later hops repeated, but it was too fast to be sure.<br><br>

#465 - 03/13/01 10:51 PM Re: Improper expansion of hop list [Re: Joe_G]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi Joe.<br><br>Your description puts "routing loop" in my mind. This is a situation that can occasionally happen when a route changes - and a router sends data to another router that sends it back again. While this should't happen, it sometimes does - and it sometimes happens long enough to block network traffic from being sent beyond this point.<br><br>If I understand your explanation correctly, then Ping Plotter was likely reporting on a network condition that actually existed.<br><br>It you were previously using a version prior to 2.20 (ie: 2.03 or an earlier version), then you may have never seen this before because 2.03 and earlier didn't handle route changes at all (similar to most other graphical trace route packages that "fix" into a specific route for the duration of the display). 2.20 and later, however, will show these route changes as they happen - and you can go back in the history (through the route change panel) to see when these route changes occured and the route that was taken. If you saved the data that was being collected when you saw this happening, you can re-load this data and go back to investigate exactly what happened when you saw this happening.<br><br>Hopefully, I've correctly diagnosed the situation you saw. If not, please feel free to re-direct me!<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod