Topic Options
#4022 - 09/27/23 09:26 PM Could someone help me figure out where packets are dropping?
thetateman Offline

Every 10 minutes or so I've been having intermittent outages / packet loss. I've tried swapping my router, modem, and cables, but I'm still having the same issue. My ISP (Cox) keeps telling me everything looks good on their end, but I'm not seeing where else the problem could be. Could it just be internal wiring in my apartment?

Attachments
Capture.PNG (28 downloads)

#4023 - 09/28/23 11:26 AM Re: Could someone help me figure out where packets are dropping? [Re: thetateman]
Tyson Offline

Hi thetateman,

Thanks for getting in touch!

The screenshot you uploaded shows ~70% packet loss on hops 2 - 9. This is a really good indicator that the issues you're having are either with the cable between hop 1 (usually your router) and hop 2, or with the device at hop 2.

Given that you're in an apartment, it's hard to say who owns that device. It could be the property management or Cox. I would probably start by sending this same screenshot to Cox, explain you've been having issues at hop 2, and ask if they own that device.

Here's a guide on how you can go about building your case, making contact, and then escalating the issue if things aren't progressing: https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network/build-a-case/.

Good luck to you!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod