Topic Options
#39 - 10/20/99 03:15 PM Trace graph clears
Tomek Machnik Offline

Loc: Poland
Hello,<br><br>I have installed the PP 2.03 few hours ago, and noted that after a short problem at my provider's host the trace graph simply disappears.<br>Time graphs still work fine, the coloured bakground of trace window works OK, but there's no trace curve.<br>You can see a snapshot of the display at:<br>http://195.205.203.1/elab/pp.jpg (slow... ;)<br>The curve disappeared just after the interruption at theta.dnd.com.pl (topmost time graph) at 7.32 pm.<br>Is it because PP "remembers" route despite it had changed?<br>It is a minor problem for user - Stop/Resume makes the curve back on the display. <br><br>Regards from Poland<br>Tomek<br><br>PS. It is a great piece of software - thanks!<br><br><br> <br><br>

#40 - 10/25/99 04:14 PM Re: Trace graph clears [Re: Tomek Machnik]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
This is a problem with Version 2.03 when the trace interval is too short for the amount of time it takes for a hop to respond.<br><br>Here's what's happening:<br><br>Ping Plotter allows up to 45 outstanding trace requests to happen simultaneously. Since Most traces are 10-15 hops, this gives enough headroom to run at pretty fast rates.<br><br>The problem comes into play when there are 45 requrests outstanding - and the timer fires to add another request to the queue. In some situations (not all), this requests just drops off the face of the earth.<br><br>Adding to the graph is based on when the request is returned - and since this "lost" request never returns, the data collection gets behind.<br><br>There are a few ways to solve this problem:<br><br>1) If you've registered, get the latest beta version - this problem is fixed in that version.<br>2) Increase your trace interval. If there are never more than 45 pending requests, this will never happen, so make sure your trace interval is more than your timeout time.<br>3) Reduce your timeout time. This is done in the advanced options. Reducing this will cause more lost packets (rather than really high numbers), but will allow you to keep your rate up.<br><br>I'm sorry to hear you ran into this problem! Try this out and let me know if you see this happen any more.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Pete<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod