Topic Options
#3952 - 07/22/22 05:27 PM Packet issue and want to understand these graphs
Siricosirus Offline

Recently my GF has had some latency in FFXIV, which seemed like packet loss. I did some tests, using 2 different PCs for a couple of games and they both experience packet loss at the same time, even on different games. We are also both connected via ethernet cable.

I downloaded ping plotter and added the IP address of a few games, google (8.8.8.8) and then also our router (192.168.0.1)

The packet loss seems to be almost uniform amongst all other than the router; as you can see in the screenshot attached. Does anyone have any idea why this might be or how I can go about potentially fixing this? And also what it means when all 3 have packet loss but the router here doesnt?

Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-22 231208.jpg (41 downloads)

#3953 - 07/25/22 06:00 PM Re: Packet issue and want to understand these graphs [Re: Siricosirus]
TJM Offline

Hey Siricosirus

Thanks for reaching out!

Based on the screenshot you included it would appear that this network issue your GF has been experiencing is likely originating at the ISP. You can come to this conclusion because the trace to your router shows no packet loss while all 3 of your traces to external targets exhibit packet loss.

You can find more information about interpreting PingPlotter results in the following articles:

Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss
Interpreting PingPingPlotter Results
Common Network Problems

With that said once you have collected more evidence of this issue if it continues to appear to be an ISP-related issue I suggest checking out the following article:

Building A Case

Best of luck!
-TJ

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod