Topic Options
#3380 - 03/20/19 01:52 PM Tag sessions with a name
Fallon Offline

I tend to have sessions going by IP rather than DNS because I don't trust DNS for a given session or don't have a valid FQDN. It would be nice to put a tag or name on a session so I could tell what that IP was. It gets confusing with a couple IPs I don't remember sitting there.

#3381 - 03/20/19 02:03 PM Re: Tag sessions with a name [Re: Fallon]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hi Fallon,

Thanks for reaching out to us!

Having the option to use custom descriptions/names is absolutely necessary for a great PingPlotter experience - which is why we've already included it!

To create a custom description, you can right-click any target ( or even a hop within a single trace tab/window ), then hover over the host name and select 'Edit DNS Name'. We have a few more details about this here as well:

https://www.pingman.com/kb/article/aliasing-labeling-an-ip-address-23.html

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

All the best,
-Austin

#3720 - 06/24/20 06:18 AM Re: Tag sessions with a name [Re: AustinB]
tkp Offline

Originally Posted By: AustinB
Hi Fallon,

- which is why we've already included it!

To create a custom description, you can right-click any target ( or even a hop within a single trace tab/window ), then hover over the host name and select 'Edit DNS Name'. We have a few more details about this here as well:

https://www.pingman.com/kb/article/aliasing-labeling-an-ip-address-23.html

I came here to ask for exactly this feature, but even after trying the above there is still an issue.

The problem is after editing a DNS name in the trace list or including a name suffix when adding an IP to scan the name is lost when the tracing session is closed and saved in the previous sessions list. After that its back to the raw IP again for targets where DNS resolution won't work.

#3721 - 06/24/20 01:00 PM Re: Tag sessions with a name [Re: tkp]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hey there Tkp,

Thanks for writing in to our forum!

From what I know about the latest versions of PingPlotter, the custom name doesn't carry into a column within File -> Manage Sessions. However, selecting the closed trace and hitting Open will reopen the trace for viewing in PingPlotter and will retain the name.

Something to note - when renaming a target, this will prevent dynamic DNS from functioning (the IP is locked to the new name). If you'd like to add a name or notation to a trace, you can use the Notes column.

To use Notes, right-click any column header to display a list of columns you can toggle. Enable "Notes" -> right-click a target row -> hover over the host name -> and select "Edit Notes".

If I'm off-base here and you're not quite seeing the same thing as I am, feel free to write in to our Support line at support@pingman.com; additional info like screenshots are always helpful too!

Please let us know if this leaves you with any other questions or concerns.

All the best,

Austin Berner
Quality Assurance Analyst | Pingman Tools
support@pingman.com | (208) 345-0030 ext. 1059 or 1062

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod