Topic Options
#3672 - 05/09/20 12:36 AM Absolutely terrible ping spikes + some packet loss. Bandwidth Issues???
CoolBeans Offline

ISP has literally been no help, I've replaced so much hardware, new modem, new router, new cables, directly lan to the router AND Modem, i have no clue on what to do, we have gigbit internet speeds but it seems like i cant do anything to fix it.

Iv'e had issues with ping for the past 6 months. so this isnt somethign that came about with Covid.

Attachments
Google Pingplotter 48 hours.pp2 (355 downloads)

#3673 - 05/11/20 01:58 PM Re: Absolutely terrible ping spikes + some packet loss. Bandwidth Issues??? [Re: CoolBeans]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi coolbeans,

Sorry to hear you're still having connectivity issues with your internet - that sounds really frustrating!

I want to apologize for not getting back to your previous post, I'm afraid it gota bit lost in the shuffle.

I took a look at the PP2 files you sent over (thanks for that!) and it seems very clear that this is an issue with hop #2 (173.25.184.1). This IP belongs to Dagsboro Mediacom Communications Corp, according to a quick WHOIS lookup, which I assume is your ISP.

I would encourage you to call your ISP and be the squeaky wheel and not take no for an answer. Be kind, polite and insistent and keep asking to have your case escalated to a higher tier of support. Tell them you want to talk to someone who can look at your data and tell you why you're seeing intermitent packet loss starting at hop #2 (give them the Ip address 173.25.184.1) in your trace route. You can tell them that you're using PingPlotter and offer to email them the PP2 that you attached above. If they're unfamiliar with PingPlotter you can offer to give them the link to where to download a free trial and about opening the pp2 file (see below).

https://www.pingplotter.com/download
https://www.pingplotter.com/manual/sharing-pingplotter-data-with-.html

Here also is an article about building a case to take to your ISP.

It can be an exercise in patience and persistance (know that this could take hours over multiple days) and if you can take this view going in then this may give you the perspective to keep taking deep breaths and being patient. Also remember that the vast majority of people that you're talking to on the phone likely don't have the power or knowledge to help you and that's working tech support for an ISP is likely not the best gig in the world. I'm not sure if it's truly an option but if they're really not listening you can always threaten to go to the competition and that will get their attention as they spent a lot of money to get you as a customer.

If there is anything else we can help with just let us know.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

-Poe

#3676 - 05/11/20 07:35 PM Re: Absolutely terrible ping spikes + some packet loss. Bandwidth Issues??? [Re: Poe]
CoolBeans Offline

Sounds good, Thank you for getting back to me, ill do my best to setup a case with mediacom and see if we can get it sorted out.

Search

Who's Online
1 registered (Robertdee), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod