Topic Options
#3669 - 05/08/20 10:10 AM Isp cant figure out whats wrong
stayedthunder Offline

My ISP can't figure out why ive been having packet loss for over a month now and also its showing me their server address instead the modems ip address https://i.imgur.com/CLkqKac.png and the packet loss seems to disappear when im downloading a game on steam. I have also been through like 5 modems.

Edited by stayedthunder (05/08/20 10:16 AM)

#3671 - 05/08/20 07:37 PM Re: Isp cant figure out whats wrong [Re: stayedthunder]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi stayedthunder,,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your internet connection!

Generally, you should be able to take a look at the hop #2 IP address and see if it's within the private ranges (192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255, 172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255, 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255) and kind of know if it's in your network or not. In your case it looks like the first three hops are private addresses but that doesn't mean necessarily that they're within your network. It's a bit odd that the first two are the same IP address. I have seen this before but it's not very common.

You can also use the Local Network Discovery tool built into PingPlotter (Tools -> Local Network Discovery) to see everything that's on your network. This can let you know if the private IP that you may be seeing is in your network or your ISP's network.

I would suggest tracing to the 10.22.248.1 to see if it responds with packet loss when it is the destination. Many routers will show up with masking packet loss because they are configured to down prioritizing ICMP packet where the TTL =0 and prioritizing other traffic. If you trace to the first hop and you still see packet loss than you have an issue with your router. Resetting your router is always a good place to start.

It's tough to tell really what's going on from a single screenshot rather than looking at data over time. If you're still having trouble figuring out what's going on with your network. We do have a new service called SideKick which will run diagnostics on your network and step you through some troubleshooting steps to determine where the issue is and what to do about it. It's only $20 USD so it's pretty reasonable and it helps with the interpretation part of things. Also if you are still having trouble figuring out where the issue is you can send it to us and we'll help you interpret the data. Not too bad for $20 USD!

Let us know if there are any other questions that come up, we're happy to help!

Thanks,

-Poe

Search

Who's Online
1 registered (Robertdee), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod