Topic Options
#3503 - 12/05/19 07:41 PM Interpretation Help
nah Offline

Hi! Earlier this year, I started noticing severe rubberbanding in video games and problems with browsing happening in intermittent spurts. It can vary from a single hiccup to prolonged periods of 10-15 minutes at a time, and it occurs both on wired and wireless local connections. My modem and router are new as of March, and I've now had two tech appointments examining my coax and junction without discovering any noticeable issues there. Here's some screenshots for reference: https://imgur.com/a/gvnEYH4

Router: TP-Link AC1750

Modem: Motorola 7720 (screenshot 2)

According to troubleshooting tips, all the modem levels are fine. I notice no change there when the issue is occuring. There are a few T3 timeouts in its event log, but nowhere near as many as I would expect given the consistency of the problem. I have been keeping logs since neither the techs nor customer service reps have been able to record problems. Screenshot 3 is a graph of a 6 hour period during an evening earlier this week. Screenshot 1 is a traceroute during a patch of problems from that window.

My first hop seems to be ok, the problem occurs at the second hop out. The IP (96.120.3.9) is owned by Comcast. Whenever I am having issues, the graphs always look similar to the ones provided. Speedtests are good when the connection is stable. This seems to indicate that it's not a problem with anything in my local network, if I'm understanding correctly.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Edited by nah (12/05/19 07:42 PM)

#3504 - 12/05/19 07:45 PM Re: Interpretation Help [Re: nah]
nah Offline

Here are some additional graph screenshots.

https://imgur.com/a/uWsCGSU

In that link, the top ss is from a problem time period, the bottom is a normal one.

https://i.imgur.com/6w246Pi.png

another problem example

#3505 - 12/06/19 01:08 PM Re: Interpretation Help [Re: nah]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hey there Nah,

Thanks for getting in touch with us - I'm happy to lend a hand here!

I think you're on the right track to assume that there are issues beginning at hop #2. Based on the screenshots you've sent over, it looks that way to me as well.

However, it's hard to say for sure without seeing a definitive pattern. The good news is it shouldn't be hard to find!

• Since you have the trace data already, you can double-click on the hop #2 row to open its Timeline Graph - do the same for a few others.
  • Using only the Timeline Graphs, examine the pattern of latency and packet loss at the destination.
  • Try and follow that pattern "up the chain" towards your modem/router. The earliest hop that matches the pattern at the destination would be the culprit (or, the connection/line just before that hop).

For more information about interpreting latency and packet loss, check out this article:

Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss

Please feel free to reach out with any other questions - we're happy to help!

Cheers,

Austin Berner
Software Support Technician | Pingman Tools
support@pingman.com | (208) 345-0030

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod