Topic Options
#3368 - 03/03/19 04:36 PM CPU usage with 300+ destinations
angelclaw Offline

Hi,

When tracing 325 destinations, my i7-2700 CPU is 25% used, Pingplotter seems not to scale well, HDD usage is only 20-30%, I think it's related to Pingplotter not using more than 1 core.
How can I enhance the performance of the app? If I set the targets to an 1 second interval, the actual tracing happens every 5-10 seconds, which is kinda slow for my requirements.

This wasn't the case when I tested Pingplotter v4, so I guess all the saving to disk overhead eats too many CPU cycles, maybe make the code compatible with multiple threads?

I'm debating if purchasing an SSD will help, because W10 task manager doesn't show PingPlotter eating all HDD resources, only the ~25'ish CPU usage makes me think it's some code limitation.

And another one:

Is there any command line parameter to start different pingplotter processes using different configuration folders? This might help load balancing the CPU workload, making the app faster with 2 or more processes open.

Edited by angelclaw (03/04/19 08:35 AM)

#3369 - 03/04/19 01:54 PM Re: CPU usage with 300+ destinations [Re: angelclaw]
Hayla Offline
Pingman Staff

Hey Angelclaw!

Thanks for getting in touch - all very good questions!

Which version of PingPlotter are you running? If you'd like, you can head to Help -> Email PingPlotter Support and send us an email from there. We'll take a look at it and tell you what we think on that CPU usage! Please note, however - that 25% is of one core (it seems that you may have already identified this).

I do think that purchasing an SSD would always help with performance-related things. I, personally, was running an HDD and noticed that PingPlotter didn't perform nearly as well as the SSD that I'm running now. If you're debating and have other reasons besides just PingPlotter to go for a SSD, I'd say go for it.

Right now, there is no command line parameter to start different processes using different config folders - how would you like to see this done? If you want to let me know what you'd like to see out of this parameter, I'd love to talk to my team about getting something configured for you!

Let me know in the meantime if you have any other questions!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod