Topic Options
#2981 - 12/23/16 12:41 PM Limited Internet Access
BlueSky Offline

I need help with this please.

I’m unable to access certain websites pingman, tomshardware or titantv.com. I can access netflix, amazon prime video and hulu but the videos never load. I can access the usual suspects like google, amazon and facebook without diffficulty.

In addition, I can access any website using my vpn.

I completed the usual reset procedures with Comcast. None of them solved the problem including plugging the modem directly in the computer. Also, I purchased a new modem and router to eliminate my equipment as the potential source of the problem which remains unchanged.

Today, I changed the dns settings to OpenDNS in the router though the problem remains.

I need help interpreting the graphs in an attempt to find the problem.

Thanks.

Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 10.49.42 AM.png (221 downloads)
Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 10.54.22 AM.png (184 downloads)
Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 10.58.35 AM.png (145 downloads)
Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 11.00.08 AM.png (130 downloads)
Screen Shot 2016-12-23 at 11.06.34 AM.png (172 downloads)

#2983 - 12/27/16 01:24 PM Re: Limited Internet Access [Re: BlueSky]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey BlueSky,

It's tough to speculate on exactly what the culprit in your issue may be with the small amount of data we have here (with each screenshot only showing the final destination, and less than 10 minutes of data). The results we can see in your screenshots don't *seem* to point to any specific issue. That doesn't mean that you're *not* experiencing issues, though - it just means that a bit of additional work may need to be done to capture them.

Your best bet is to use PingPlotter to trace to one of the services you're experiencing issues with (in this case, one of the websites you're having trouble accessing, or one of the streaming video services you're having trouble with). You can let the program run in the background (continuously), and when you experience any issues (i.e. - when a video isn't loading, or you aren't able to reach a site) - make a note of them in PingPlotter. You can then see if there are any "problem patterns" in your PingPlotter data that match up with the issues you've experienced in the game, and use that information to narrow down what your culprit may be.

We've got a great guide that goes over some best practices and strategies for troubleshooting network issues using PingPlotter, which may prove helpful to you here:

https://www.pingman.com/network-nirvana/

Hopefully this helps get you headed in the right direction! If you have any questions, or if you should find yourself needing any other guidance - please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2987 - 12/27/16 06:54 PM Re: Limited Internet Access [Re: Gary]
BlueSky Offline

Hi,

Thanks Gary. A Comcast tech came to test the line inside my home. The tech performed a few tests with some handheld instrument and claimed that everything was fine.

More importantly, he said that in his 4-5 years of experience that usually when there is a problem like the one I described it's with a customer supplied modem. The two modems that I tried were a Netgear CM600 (that I purchased in April 2016) and an Arris SB6183 (that I purchased last Wednesday).

Furthermore, he stated that Comcast modems (the X1 modem I had last year was made by Arris) had moved beyond DOCIS 3.0 to 3.2. And, retail modems pull (the signal?) from the wall outlet and Comcast modems pull from the tap. He offered to let me try another Comcast modem. I declined. I declined the modem not because I didn't think it would work but because I thought it was the point of the out-of-the-blue problems I had.

Has anyone had the same experience?

Before the tech arrived, I thought the whole experience was a ploy to churn a $50 service fee or a $10 monthly modem rental. After his visit, my opinion remains the same.

I no longer have Comcast. I switched to Uverse even though it's much slower.

Thanks.

PS: I just heard from Arris that they'll still testing 3.1. lol

Edited by BlueSky (12/27/16 07:09 PM)

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod