Topic Options
#2887 - 08/05/16 11:52 AM Can I name my Targets, even though I entered them as IPs?
William Smith Offline

I've got a target (AWS Load Balancer) that resolves to two different IP addresses, so I've entered the IP addresses individually, but then I have to remember which of the numeric IPs is which target, which is kind of a pain.

Is there any way to put an alphanumeric title on each of those ("Load Balancer 1" and "Load Balancer 2" for instance? I have other IPs that don't have DNS or need similar kinds of tagging, if there's a way to do that.

It'd actually be keen to be able to enter the DNS name ("server.company.com") and have Ping Plotter Pro figure out that there were multiple IPs and offer to add them all...

I looked through the online manual, and didn't see anything...

Thanks!

#2888 - 08/05/16 01:48 PM Re: Can I name my Targets, even though I entered them as IPs? [Re: William Smith]
Phillip Offline
Pingman Staff

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hey William,

Thanks for using the forums today - and great question!

It sounds like what you need can be accomplished through a combination of Aliasing your IP Addresses, and editing the DNS names.

When you are entering an IP Address you wish to trace to, you can put a space and then an "alias" name for that IP Address. For instance, if you are adding 192.168.1.100 which is your server, you can enter "192.168.1.100 my server name" and it will automatically add the trace, with "my server name" as the DNS name (so that it is more recognizable for you). You can see more about IP Address Aliasing here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/23

Now I know you're asking, "but what if I have already added the IP Address, but want to change the DNS name?". Well, you can do that by right clicking on any IP Address name (final target or any intermediate hop), and hovering your mouse pointer over the first option (which should be the existing DNS name) and then choosing "Edit DNS Name...". This will allow you to customize your IP Addresses with a name that will help you know what device (or load balancer) it is.

Hopefully this helps out! If you should find yourself with any other questions, or needing any other assistance - please don't hesitate to email us at anytime at support@pingplotter.com. 

Cheers! 

-Phillip

#2889 - 08/06/16 02:56 PM Re: Can I name my Targets, even though I entered them as IPs? [Re: Phillip]
William Smith Offline

Works great, thanks!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod