Topic Options
#2615 - 03/12/15 07:20 PM PingPlotter reports 100% lost - Windows ping always fine
farpet Offline

Hi

I have downloaded PingPlotterPro for testing. When I use it on the IP 83.105.68.177 (the IP of my broadband router) I get 100% packet loss. For my firewall connected to the router (83.105.68.178) I get OK (43 ms) for the first packet and then all are lost. (83.105.68.178 will only answer ping from my IP address)

When I do a ping from Windows 7 (in a “Dos window”) none packets are dropped and everything looks fine.

Why reports PingPlotter packet loss when it works 100% fine in Windows?

BR
Harald

#2616 - 03/12/15 07:31 PM Re: PingPlotter reports 100% lost - Windows ping always fine [Re: farpet]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hi Harald,

Thanks for writing in!

This is a situation we've seen a few times before - and actually have a knowledge base article that goes over some of the possibilities here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/37

If none of the points in the above article seem to address your situation - would you possibly be able to send us a support ticket directly from PingPlotter ("Help" -> "Email PingPlotter Support")? This will help give us a look at your current configuration - which may help us provide some additional insight on this issue.

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2617 - 03/13/15 04:57 AM Re: PingPlotter reports 100% lost - Windows ping always fine [Re: Gary]
farpet Offline

Hi

Thanks for your respond.

This KB was helpful and it looks like the problem is that the route is changing. I did as written - and selected "View -> Ignore First Hops -> Ping Final Hop Only", and then it showed up stable and fine. Adding in my firewall and the routers and running those two at the same time gave me now a nice view in the Summary tab.

In the KB it is written: If this makes a difference, feel free to contact us and we'll help determine if there is a solution.

Is there more that can be done?

Which for the next version of the program:
When I am right click on a host in the host list I get a menu with "Delete host | Sort list". It would be nice to have another command there - "Trace host" and in this way a new tab with this host / trace should appear. Maybe double click on the host name should do the same? (Not a big problem, but this would make the program even more user friendly)

BR
Harald

#2618 - 03/13/15 01:57 PM Re: PingPlotter reports 100% lost - Windows ping always fine [Re: farpet]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Harald,

Good to hear that the knowledge base article helped provide some insight here!

We'd definitely be happy to take a closer look into things to see if there's a possible solution. Feel free to shoot us an email at support@pingman.com with a .pp2 file of your data ("File" -> "Save Sample Set"). It also may prove helpful to send over a support ticket from your instance of PingPlotter ("Help" -> "Email PingPlotter Support"), so we can take a look at your configuration and see if we can provide some insight on that front as well.

Thanks for the suggestion as well! We agree that a feature like this would make things more user friendly. Our development team has actually implemented some improvements on this front (*very* close to what you're suggesting here) for a future release of PingPlotter (version 4).

If you have any other questions - please let us know!

Best wishes,

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod