Topic Options
#2402 - 02/21/13 08:48 AM SSH and RDP
nowhere Offline

Hi,
I'm having problem connecting from our office to our online server via Windows Remote Desktop or SSH.
In particular some days I need to restart shh putty connection to Linux server as the connection seams to drop. The same happen with RDP but at least Windows reconnects by itself after 20 sec.

I'd like to understand if PingPlotter standard would help me to understand where the problem is.
I've already tested the connection with PingPlotter Free and I've found no problems with ping.

Thanks

#2403 - 02/21/13 03:52 PM Re: SSH and RDP [Re: nowhere]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
If PingPlotter Free is showing a solid connection without packet loss or latency variations, then PingPlotter Standard is probably going to show a similar picture. The Standard edition will let you use TCP packets and specifically use the same port that SSH does, but *most* of the time we see a strong correlation between ICMP packets and TCP packets.

Another thing you can try to do to capture problems is to increase the frequency of samples - from the default 15 seconds between sample to 2.5 (or even 1) seconds between samples. This will sometimes catch failures that a 15 second sample rate is missing.

Your'e certainly welcome to download the Standard edition in 30 day free trial mode and give TCP packets a whirl, though, and see if you can capture a problem.

Best wishes,
Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod