Topic Options
#196 - 06/14/00 07:37 PM Make location known
Anonymous
Unregistered

It would be nice if you could somehow get the location information of the individual routers so one could get a better idea of where your packets are being routed to. Some of the DNS names have the city name imbedded(eg, KCY will be in the name), but not all. I know visualroute does this not only on their map but also in their table. I like pingplotter better, except for this one thing. Thanks!<br><br>

#197 - 06/21/00 01:57 PM Re: Make location known
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
I actually started looking into this some time ago and was unable to come up with a good way to get information about the physical location. It looks like Visual does some proprietary data collecting to determine these locations, but I've not been able to determine for sure.<br><br>If you know of a reliable way to get a physical location either by IP address or DNS name, let me know and I'll see what I can do!<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>

#198 - 06/21/00 04:56 PM Re: Make location known [Re: Pete Ness]
jbrunette Offline

I'm sure you've probably looked into parsing ARIN information. I think it's about as reliable as you can get without a proprietary db.<br><br>

#199 - 10/12/00 03:56 AM Re: Make location known [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why don't you think to insert AS reference instead?<br><br>Bye<br><br>

#200 - 10/16/00 02:37 PM Re: Make location known
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi Mauro.<br><br>Got any ideas on a generic mechanism for finding the AS numbers of a network from a client PC? It seems if you can RSH into a router, then it's pretty easy to determine, but most users don't have RSH access to a router any place. It seems as though this information should be available, but I've been unable to determine exactly where or how. Of course, the AS number doesn't really help determine geographic location, but it does help determine network boundries - which would be a most interesting piece of information to add to Ping Plotter's graphs.<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod