Topic Options
#1963 - 10/11/07 10:06 AM Issue with laptop & rdp
Jeff Thompson Offline

I run Ping Plotter Pro on my workstation in the office. When I'm working remotely I use RDP to control that session. When I RDP in from a desktop, I have no issues. When I RDP in with any laptop (have tried 6), I have to leave PPP minimized or else the CPU usage goes to 100% and I can't work. If I leave PPP minimized, no issues. As soon as I try to look at it, CPU is maxed and I'm done for.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

#1964 - 10/11/07 11:57 AM Re: Issue with laptop & rdp [Re: Jeff Thompson]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Jeff.

That's a report we've not heard before - in particular, the difference between a desktop and laptop!

It may be something with the "Samples to include" setting and the columns you have displayed. In particular, the Std Deviation column is relatively slow to calculate, since its entirely script-based. Maybe if the Std. Deviation columns is off-screen for your desktop, but onscreen for your laptops, then I could imagine screen-size being the difference between the different computers here.

If your "Samples to include" is set to all, and you have a lot of data in memory (200,000 + samples), and you have a fast trace interval, and you have a high-cpu column turned on (Std. Deviation, particularly), then I could see this happening.

There are a few solutions (if this is the problem).

1) Turn down "Samples to include". Usually, you want to use a reasonably small number here (reasonably being < 10,000) because if you're collecting data for long periods of time, doing summary of the entire time period starts to blend too much data.

2) Turn off the Std Deviation column (or whichever the slow column is - you'll be able to see this because the column will "paint" slowly).

3) Reduce the number of samples in memory. We cover some best practices on this here.

If that doesn't get you pointed in the right direction, please let us know.

- Pete

#1965 - 12/03/07 04:18 PM Re: Issue with laptop & rdp [Re: Pete Ness]
Jeff Thompson Offline

Newest release of Ping Plotter Pro has resolved this issue.

Thanks!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 19 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod