Topic Options
#1958 - 10/09/07 01:34 PM PingPlotter stopped working
Randolph M. Jones Offline

PingPlotter has worked well for me for months, but it has stopped working from my home office. The behavior is that when I press "Trace", the button changes to "Stop", but basically nothing else happens. I get no trace information displayed at all, the trace count doesn't increment, etc.

I did recently install a new router (changed from a Linksys wireless G to a Belkin wireless G), so I assume this probably has something to do with the problem. However, I am able to run tracert and ping just fine from the Windows command prompt.

I have tried changing to "Start at Hop 2" but that had no effect. Does anybody have ideas what else I should try to get PingPlotter working again?

Many thanks,
Randy Jones

#1959 - 10/09/07 01:42 PM Re: PingPlotter stopped working [Re: Randolph M. Jones]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Randy.

We occasionally hear of this problem when the "# of times to trace" is set to something besides unlimited (#4 on the instructions here: http://www.pingplotter.com/tutorial/TheInterfaceSettingsandRtChanges.html). Is it possible that you have that set to a number and you've collected more samples than that?

- Pete

#1960 - 10/09/07 08:14 PM Re: PingPlotter stopped working [Re: Pete Ness]

I just checked, and I'm afraid not. It is set to "unlimited".

Thanks,
Randy

#1961 - 10/09/07 08:25 PM Re: PingPlotter stopped working [Re: Randolph M. Jones]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
This isn't a "normal" problem, so we'll have to do some troubleshooting.

What version / edition of PingPlotter are you using?
I'm sure you've tried closing and restarting PingPlotter - does the "Trace Count" ever change from 0?
What packet type are you using?
What "Engine" settings are you using (timeout, time interval, etc.)
If you're using PingPlotter Pro, are you using a remote agent?
Have you changed software firewalls recently? Maybe you have a software firewall blocking PingPlotter's ability to access the network at all - make sure your software firewall is configured to allow PingPlotter to have access.

If you're using PingPlotter Pro, some of these questions can be answered by using the Help -> Email PingPlotter Support option. Even if you're using PingPlotter Standard, you can download the latest beta and use that feature in the new betas (http://www.pingplotter.com/news.html#NewsRelease1991)

- Pete

#1962 - 10/09/07 11:48 PM Re: PingPlotter stopped working [Re: Randolph M. Jones]

Hmm....I tried the magic incantation of quitting PingPlotter and starting again. Now it seems to be working again.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod