Topic Options
#186 - 06/07/00 07:08 PM Timeline graph not displayed
crholloway Offline

Loc: Malvern, PA
Several IP addresses fail to display a Timeline graph. It happens when pinging the name or pinging the IP address. If it fails with the name, it always fails using the corresponding IP address. Some IP addresses fail that do not have a corresponding DNS name (but not all). When it fails, the DNSname in the last line of the trace graph is shown as "---------------" even when a name was used in the "address to trace to" field. This happening on version 2.03 - I have not tried any of the 2.20 beta versions.<br><br>-- <br>Bob Holloway, Unisys Corp., 2476 Swedesford Rd., Malvern, PA 19355-9700

#187 - 06/07/00 07:25 PM Re: Timeline graph not displayed [Re: crholloway]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi.<br><br>It *sounds* like you may be tracing to destinations that don't respond to ICMP echo requests. Give me some examples of IP/Names that are causing you problems and I can verify this.<br><br>Does Ping Plotter show the round trip time after the last hop? It only shows this on complete traces (where the destination was reached) - and its absense would be another clue that you're not reaching the final destination.<br><br>The real decider on this, though, is to compare the IP address you specified with the last IP address in the route. If these match, and you're not getting a timeline graph, then it's possible they've been specifically supressed for that hop. Just right-click on the hop and turn on the timeline graph.<br><br>These are just some hints and clues to get you going. Without seeing any details, it's hard to diagnose exactly. If this doesn't help, let me know some of the IPs that are causing problems and I'll try troubleshooting from here.<br><br>

#188 - 06/08/00 06:55 AM Re: Timeline graph not displayed [Re: Pete Ness]
crholloway Offline

This is the clue that I needed:<br>"The real decider on this, though, is to compare the IP address you specified with the last IP address in the route. If these match, and you're not getting a timeline graph, then it's possible they've been specifically supressed for that hop. Just right-click on the hop and turn on the timeline graph."<br><br>In a route to a point in the Internet, I was turning Timeline graphs on then off, then going back and restarting the trace with other IP addresses, then coming back to one of the ones that had been previously turned on/off in the middle of a trace. I would have thought that the Timeline graph on/off flags would be reset to a default of "on if last node in trace" each time a new trace is started. In fact, once a Timeline graph for a specific IP address has been turned on and either left on or turned off, there seems to be no way (not even stopping and restarting PingPlotter) to ever return that IP address to the state where its Timeline graph is displayed only if it's the last node in the trace. <br><br>-- <br>Bob Holloway, Unisys Corp., 2476 Swedesford Rd., Malvern, PA 19355-9700

#189 - 06/08/00 12:25 PM Re: Timeline graph not displayed [Re: crholloway]
crholloway Offline

I found the pingplotter.ini file and deleted the appropriate entries for the IP address/Timeline graph settings - all is better now. It would be helpful to have a menu option that resets these. Thanks.<br><br>-- <br>Bob Holloway, Unisys Corp., 2476 Swedesford Rd., Malvern, PA 19355-9700

#190 - 06/08/00 01:14 PM Re: Timeline graph not displayed [Re: crholloway]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hmmm. Interesting point.<br><br>I see this needs a bit of re-engineering. I've got a couple of possible ideas I'll let stew for a bit and see what I can come up with.<br><br>Thanks for the feedback on this - much appreciated.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod