Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#1518 - 11/02/05 09:03 PM New Linksys WRT54G
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just bougjt a new WRT54G and ping plotter no longer works. I can go into dos and do trace routes with no problem.

When I use Pingplotter It shows the hops for one or two passes then it just shows the last hop and AVG time to that hop bleeds down to 0.

Any ideas?

I have changed the Router to allow ICMP through and again DOS traceroutes work fine.

#1519 - 11/02/05 09:11 PM Re: New Linksys WRT54G
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
We don't have any specific reports on that *specific* router, but there have been problems in the past with Linksys routers doing similar things.

The first thing you should do is make sure you have the latest firmware for your router.

If that's not an option, or it doesn't help, then you can change the settings in PingPlotter so it waits between sending packets. See here for details:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/22

If none of that helps, feel free to post back here with what you've done and we'll see what we can do to help.

- Pete

#1520 - 11/02/05 09:53 PM Re: New Linksys WRT54G
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have made sure that the router is up to date. Its a v5 with firmware 1.00

#1521 - 11/02/05 10:18 PM Re: New Linksys WRT54G
Anonymous
Unregistered

Made the changes you recommended to the PingPlotter settings with no improvement...still can't see full traces...f

#1522 - 11/02/05 10:25 PM Re: New Linksys WRT54G
Pete Ness Offline

It's really, really likely this is a bug in the Linksys bios, confusing packet responses. We've seen it before, with similar symptoms.

If you want to create a .pp2 save file and send it to support@pingplotter.com, we can look at this and see if the symptoms match what we've seen with other routers.

#1523 - 11/30/05 08:41 AM Re: New Linksys WRT54G [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,

I just bought the exact same router and I'm having the same results. When I initially start Ping Plotter it works and shows all hops for about a second, then it only shows the destination hop with nothing else. I updated my firmware to 1.00.2 (Oct31,2005) but the same results.

I can save a PP2 file and send in if this will help. How long do I need to run Ping Plotter for before I save the file?

I am forced to use a very unreliable ISP so I'd love to get it working again.

#1524 - 11/30/05 01:06 PM Re: New Linksys WRT54G
Pete Ness Offline

Can you send us a request via email (support@pingplotter.com)? We have a packet capture tool that we've been using internally lately to troubleshoot some routers with similar problems - it would help us understand this more if you could install it and we could grab a few sample sets of packets.

- Pete

#1525 - 12/05/05 11:26 PM Re: New Linksys WRT54G [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too can confirm that the Linksys WRT54G v5 breaks Pingplotter. I tried several different versions of Pingplotter on different computers on a network with the same results. After the first trace is made, it shows only the last hop - but the time in ms shows the first hop. Running tracert from the command line has no issues. This is not my network I was troubleshooting, so I can't send you a log. You might want to purchase one of the routers (v5), just to see for yourself. Very odd.

#1526 - 12/06/05 02:27 AM Re: New Linksys WRT54G
Pete Ness Offline

We've made some progress on getting this working.

First, you need to upgrade to the lastest bios for the router (1.01.2 as of December 5th, 2005). Next, you need to set PingPlotter to "Ignore First Hops" and set it to start at hop 3. Do this via the "View" menu.

Once you've done this, we have some evidence that things work correctly (except for not being able to report on the first 2 hops).

If anyone else has any success with this, please let us know.

- Pete

#1527 - 12/14/05 09:00 AM Re: New Linksys WRT54G [Re: Pete Ness]
GeezerGeek Offline

Same router, same problem. The latest firmware available from LinkSys is 1.00.4, dated 12/9/2005. I have installed that, and following the instructions in the above post, it seems to be working correctly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod