Topic Options
#13 - 04/29/99 04:32 AM Registration
Chris Mitchell Offline

Loc: UK
Hi,<br><br>PingPlotter v2.03 was installed and registered OK on my NT laptop, but then my machine was swapped and the registration disappeared. Attempting to re-enter the code when logged in a myself gives error "Can't create key User". When logged in as administrator, the registration is accepted, and the nag screen goes away. BUT when I switch back to my own user id, I still get the nag screen. I appreciate that this is more of an NT problem than a ping plotter problem, but any ideas?<br><br>Chris<br><br>

#14 - 05/01/99 12:39 AM Re: Registration [Re: Chris Mitchell]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
This *is* actually a problem with Ping Plotter.<br><br>What happens is that Ping Plotter *first* tries to read/write the key to/from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. If this fails, then it writes it to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.<br><br>I think your user probably doesn't have rights to create a key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. There's actually a bug here that doesn't write the key out correctly to the HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE key - and instead writes a "unregistered" key to the registry. This *appears* to happen when there isn't a key in HKEY_CURRENT_MACHINE only.<br><br>I think you'll probably be able to work around this now by re-entering your registration data into Ping Plotter. Another possibility is to delete the "Nessoft" key from your HKEY_CURRENT_USER entry when logged in as your own user. When Ping Plotter doesn't find an entry here, it will look to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry that was written out correctly when you were logged in as administrator.<br><br>To summarize, here's what to try:<br><br>1) Just re-enter the key when logged in as your own (non admin) user and see if it goes better this time (it should).<br>2) Delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Nessoft\PingPlotter key from your registry.<br><br>This should solve your problem.<br><br><br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod