Topic Options
#1389 - 06/03/05 11:23 AM Can access form home, but not work...
texan767 Offline

I am a new user & am trying to figure out why I can get to a website from home, but not at work. Here are a couple of screenshots, first from home:

and now from work:

It looks like the behavior is the same-problems between hops 11 & 15, but what I don't understand is why the site will come up immediatley at home & take forever (& only display text-no graphics) from work!
At both home & work I am using RoadRunner's cable access.
Any advice appreciated!

#1390 - 06/03/05 12:17 PM Re: Can access form home, but not work... [Re: texan767]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
There's nothing in the data here that explains the problem. It doesn't *look* like a network issue. Have you tried using a different computer at work to see if it's related to your computer specifically? Another possibility is that there's a proxy server (or some similar network item) at work that's causing problems.

This would be a great question to pose to your network people at work (or, if you don't have a network person at work, the person or company who configured the network originally). If you are that person, or if there is no apparent local reason for the problem, then contacting Roadrunner would be the next step I'd take.

Good luck!

- Pete

#1391 - 06/03/05 12:33 PM Re: Can access form home, but not work... [Re: Pete Ness]
texan767 Offline

D'OH!
I did leave out a few details, didn't I!
Yes, I have tried from several different computers at work, including a laptop that works fine from home, but not from work.
I am the "network guy" & the RoadRunner tech support people recommended me to download this to try & figure out where my problem lies.
There are no proxy servers at our location, either.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

#1392 - 06/04/05 01:34 AM Re: Can access form home, but not work... [Re: texan767]
Pete Ness Offline

Does the site respond slowly all the time, or just occasionally? Is it all sites, or just this one?

The network shots you posted (nice work on that, btw - makes it a lot easier) show some varying latency (which can be a sign of problems), but the generally low latency numbers really don't make me think of the network as a problem here.

You might try switching to the TCP packet type and use port 80 and see if that shows different results (since that's what your web browser is using). I'd suggest running for a longer period of time (an hour or two minimum) and looking for latency periods or packet loss. If you can correlate your slow performance with bad latency in PingPlotter, then this is what you'd want to send to RoadRunner.

I'd suggest collecting data for a while, then looking for problems, then sending the results (problems or not) to Roadrunner for help troubleshooting. It certainly sounds like a problem that's in the Roadrunner doamin to fix, at least - now you just have to convince them to help with the problem.

#1393 - 06/04/05 10:56 AM Re: Can access form home, but not work... [Re: Pete Ness]
texan767 Offline

The site responds slowly, everytime I try to access it from work. At home, it always comes up immediatley.
I am on RR here at home & it works fine.
I switched the TCP packet type & tried again.
Things look basically the same from home:

but at work, things look kinda bad!

(sorry for the resolution-I was using my remote desktop connection for that one, as I'm not at the office!)
Does this shed a different light on things?
I will let it run for a while at work & see what happens...

#1394 - 06/06/05 10:31 AM Re: Can access form home, but not work... [Re: texan767]
texan767 Offline

After changing the packet type, etc., I ran it for 3 hours & my results now appears in my previous message.
Any suggestions?

Attachments
1405-gsnet.tamu-w2.png

#1395 - 06/06/05 12:24 PM Re: Can access form home, but not work... [Re: texan767]
Pete Ness Offline

For being from the same provider, those graphs sure look a *lot* different. One interesting component here is that the results from PingPlotter have similarities to the way the site behaves for you - timeouts, big lags, etc.

In any problem scenario, your goal is to do two things: 1) Identify the problem so you can 2) Fix the problem.

Often, some help from your ISP is required on both of these steps. There is still some distance to go with identifying the problem, but this might be interesting enough to RoadRunner support to start helping you with this issue.

Since they recommended that you download PingPlotter, I would send the results to them and see what they have to say (or point them at this thread).

The fact that you're no longer receiving data for intermediate hops makes this a bit more difficult to convey a strong story to them.

Are there other sites that *do* work quickly? If you run PingPlotter against those sites, do you get different results in PingPlotter?

#1396 - 06/07/05 12:44 AM Re: Can access form home, but not work... [Re: Pete Ness]
texan767 Offline

We have approx. 50-60 computers & this is the first instance I've seen like this. Unfortunately, the person I got when calling RR back never even heard of Ping Plotter. They seem to think that I'm being blocked at the site itself-is that possible? I am waiting to gat a name & number of an IT guy there to start questioning.
I'll let you know...

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod