Topic Options
#129 - 04/12/00 11:47 PM Firewall
OMSDDS Offline

I'm using ZoneAlarm firewall, and can allow any internet source in or out without a problem--except ping plotter. I have to degrade security down to medium for ping plotter to work. Am also going through a Web Washer proxy and this is no problem. Any suggestions on how to maintain high security via firewall and still use ping plotter?<br><br>

#130 - 04/13/00 11:04 AM Re: Firewall [Re: OMSDDS]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Ping Plotter uses standard windows-style ICMP echo requests. The first thing to do would be to check your firewall documentation on how to enable "PING" or "TRACE ROUTE" requests through the firewall. Keep in mind that Windows style and unix style requests are somewhat different.<br><br>Unfortunately, I don't have any specific information on configuring a firewall to work, so all I can do is offer general advice (like that above). If you do find the setting for this, I'd love it if you could post it here so others can use that information.<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>

#131 - 02/24/01 10:09 AM Re: Firewall [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

My experience with Zonealarm as follows. When Zonealarm upgraded to version 2.1.44 it failed to correctly interact or recognise Ping Plotter even though the prior version had worked properly. I use Win95 OSR2B and for some other reasons I upgraded from Sockets 1.1 to Sockets 2.? and low and behold Ping Plotter was once again recognised properly. My experience concurs with something I read which is that from Zonealarm version 2.1.44 it went fully with the later sockets ( 2.? ) which is also the same as used in later WinX flavours. <br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod