Topic Options
#1042 - 01/10/04 06:31 AM Cable problem
crispy Offline

lately i cannot connect to any online games(battlefield or dungeon siege). Also i found that some websites i go to displays a no page found. But if i hit refresh a few times i may get it to show up. I ran ping plotter and was wondering if any of you guys could take a look at it. Thanks alot!

Results

Edited by crispy (01/10/04 06:32 AM)

#1043 - 01/10/04 06:41 AM Re: Cable problem [Re: crispy]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi, Crispy.

The data there looks really pretty good (you have way better latency than most people do). What you're looking for is latency or packet loss spikes that you can correlate back to some in-game performance problem or web surfing problem. The data I see here has nothing that I can point at as a problem.

The 100% packet loss on hop 1 is completely normal and doesn't indicate any problem (we have a couple of knowledgebase articles on that topic: Have a look at a post we made several days ago at Missing/Bad hop data and Poorly Responding Router).

If you get some data that shows a problem, feel free to post back here.

#1044 - 01/10/04 02:14 PM Re: Cable problem [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you for the response. Im just going crazy here cause i dont know what is wrong lol. Im guessing it could be a ISP problem?

#1045 - 01/10/04 02:20 PM Re: Cable problem
Pete Ness Offline

The data you included here doesn't really show any problem (it's a tiny bit erratic, but not in any kind of compelling way). Were you having performance / connection problems during the period where you were collecting this data? Like we suggest in our Knowledgebase article, you need to correlate actual results with the collected PingPlotter data. Trace to a target you're using for some other purpose (ie: web browsing or game playing), and then look at PingPlotter at a period when you're having problems with that application and see if PingPlotter is showing data that backs up the problem. Then, examine that data for the possible culprit.

#1046 - 01/10/04 03:58 PM Re: Cable problem [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

i ran pingplotter when i went to dinner yesterday. but the problem never goes away, it is just continuous. today disconnected the router and went straight to my computer but still have the same problem.

#1047 - 01/10/04 04:09 PM Re: Cable problem [Re: crispy]
Pete Ness Offline

Based on the information you've shared here, I can't really say what the problem is.

PingPlotter isn't really showing any network problems (no packet loss, and no clear latency spikes). This would indicate that your problem isn't going to be highlighted by ICMP troubleshooting (which also indicates that it's not a *network* problem).

This could be a firewall problem (since you can't connect to games at all), but I'm not really sure. Do you have another computer available to eliminate that it's a problem with your computer?

#1048 - 01/11/04 04:39 AM Re: Cable problem [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually i do and i connected to an online game no problem. i loaded another game on this comp and found that it didnt find any server either. As for firewall i dont have one activated atm.

#1049 - 01/11/04 08:51 AM Re: Cable problem
Pete Ness Offline

I can't tell from this statement if you have different issues on the different computers. If you're seeing different results on the different computers, look for firewall software installed on one computer but not the other (ie: ZoneAlarm or the built-in Windows 2000 / XP Firewall).

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod