Moving a CloudConnect Controller to a new machine
Can I move my CloudConnect Controller to a new machine?
Yes, it's possible to move a Controller instance to a new machine. The following are the different tasks and steps that you'll need to take to complete the process:
Prep the Controller files/folders for transfer:
- On the Controller machine, open Services and Stop the PingPlotter 5 Service.
- Make a new, empty folder in the Desktop - rename to “Controller”.
- Open File Explorer and enter %programdata% in the location bar at the top.
- Copy the PingPlotter 5 folder to the Desktop - rename to “PingPlotter 5 program data”.
- Open File Explorer and enter %localappdata% in the location bar at the top.
- Copy the PingPlotter 5 folder to the Desktop - rename to “PingPlotter 5 localappdata”.
- Move both folders into the “Controller” folder. Right-click and choose “Send to compressed (zipped) folder”.
- Import this folder into the new host machine for the Controller - extract to the current directory.
Set up directories for the new host machine:
- Install the latest eligible version of PingPlotter, with the background service enabled, on the new host machine.
- After installation, open Services and Stop the PingPlotter 5 Service.
- Delete the “PingPlotter 5” folder from both %programdata% and %localappdata%.
Unlock the Controller configuration from the Portal:
- Log in to the online Portal - navigate to the CloudConnect dashboard.
- Select the + button next to the appropriate Controller - click the padlock symbol to “unlock” the Controller.
- Back in the new host machine, open File Explorer and enter %programdata% into the location bar.
- Move “PingPlotter 5 programdata” into this location - rename to “PingPlotter 5”.
- In File Explorer, enter %localappdata% into the location bar.
- Move “PingPlotter 5 localappdata” into this location - rename to “PingPlotter5”.
Start up the new Controller, and decommission the old one:
- Open Services and Start the PingPlotter 5 Service.
- In the original, old host machine, uninstall PingPlotter completely.
! The only difference between moving a normal PingPlotter configuration and a CloudConnect configuration is being sure to “unlock” the CloudConnect Controller from the CloudConnect Dashboard before starting the PingPlotter service on the new host machine !