Topic Options
#3562 - 01/17/20 05:28 AM Need Assistance with Understanding Data
Earthspark13 Offline

Hi guys,

Unfortunately I have been experiencing high latency spikes and packet loss on various hops. I noticed this while gaming, and the spikes can vary from 300-2,000. It is important to note that these issues are occuring on ONE device through 2.4 Wi-Fi, and other wifi/ethernet devices have consistently good ping/PL. I would like to also mention that the spikes are very inconsistent, but will worsen when launching and playing a game, making it unplayable.

So far I have reset the effected PC, reset network drivers, tried a different Wi-Fi adapter, truned off 5gz Wi-Fi and band-steering, tried using a different modem, changed Wi-Fi channels, and a few other things found online in CMD. Unfortunately nothing has successfully ressolved the issue and an ethernet cable isn't an option.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Corey

Attachments
Spike 1 No Game.png (93 downloads)
General Latency no spike.png (96 downloads)

Edited by Earthspark13 (01/17/20 05:28 AM)

#3563 - 01/17/20 01:06 PM Re: Need Assistance with Understanding Data [Re: Earthspark13]
Hayla Offline
Pingman Staff

Hey Earthspark13,

Thanks for getting in touch!

I think that the best choice here would be to trace to your gaming server - the results that I'm seeing here aren't very conclusive as to who to blame. If you trace to your gaming server, you'll have a better display of where your packets are actually being dropped.

Trace to your gaming server, and then take a look at the final hop. Are there any issues at the final hop? If so, trace those issues backwards, starting with the last hop, and find the earliest hop that consecutively showed the bad pattern (latency or packet loss).

Let me know if you have any questions!

#3564 - 01/18/20 08:19 AM Re: Need Assistance with Understanding Data [Re: Hayla]
Earthspark13 Offline

Hi Hayla,

Thanks a lot for your response.

I just ran a test directly to the relevant server and experienced a handful of the spikes I have mentioned, but prior to pinging to the server I ran a test straight to google and recieved these below results also.

This is generally what happens consistently.

I am purchasing network adapters tomorrow in the hope that that will solve my issue.

Thanks again!

Attachments
spike 2 no game (2).png (241 downloads)
Overwatch Ping (2).png (75 downloads)

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod