Topic Options
#3498 - 11/10/19 02:37 PM Have tried everything, isp keeps telling me its just my equipment
brian1684 Offline

https://share.pingplotter.com/MJMgKQrWS1P

I have tried everything to fix my problems. My internet is great 90% if the time, but that other 10% is driving me insane. I only see it in gaming, creating near unplayable conditions due to lag/rubberbanding.
Have tried 2 different modems, and 2 different routers, isp keeps telling me it has to be my equipment because they see nothing on their end and everything checks out fine when they come to my house and hook up their little diagnostic meter. I have had a new drop to my house, and ran a new cable from where the drop comes in to my modem. Replaced all other cables as well. This has gotten to be so damn frustrating...

#3500 - 11/11/19 12:49 PM Re: Have tried everything, isp keeps telling me its just my equipment [Re: brian1684]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hey there Brian,

I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time getting your internet connection fixed - I'd be glad to give you a hand here!

I pulled in the data from your share page into my instance of PingPlotter, and it looks like the primary troublemaker is hop #2 (10.167.32.1). There does seem to be intermittent packet loss starting in the middle of the route (which is exacerbating the issue), but these are few and far between.

I attached an image of my findings, which I annotated for your convenience. If you'll notice, the pattern of latency and packet loss carries through from hop#2 all the way to the destination (google.com).

Since this issue seems to present itself only during gameplay, there's a slight possibility the issue could be related to bandwidth saturation. You can use some online tools and test your bandwidth, then cross-reference those values to what your ISP is currently offering you.

From what you've described, the device at hop #2 could be your modem. If not though, it's likely a device owned by your ISP - in which case, showing them this data should give them an incentive to fix it.

In either case, we have some tried-and-true steps you can take to start thoroughly narrowing down the issue:

1. Trace to the site or service you are having issues with (Netflix, Fortnite server, Zoom.com, etc.).
2. You can also trace to your ISP (generally hop #2 or #3). A "WHOIS" google search on the IP address usually provides results about who the IP address is registered to.
3. Trace to your modem/router. It's usually the first (and possibly second) hop in the route - 192.168.50.1 or something similar).
4. Trace to your NIC (Network Interface Card). In Windows, run Command Line as administrator and type ipconfig and look for the IPv4 address - this is your NIC IP.
5. Finally, trace to your loopback address (127.0.0.1). This lets you verify that any issues you are seeing are not related to the hardware or IP stack on the machine you're using.
6. In your trace window, double-click each entry to bring up their Timeline Graphs.
7. When latency or packet loss occurs, compare the graphs and look for where the issue begins.

Here are a few articles which discuss these topics a little further:

- Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss
- Requests/Responses/Behaviors
- Common Network Problems

Let us know if this leaves you with any questions!

All the best,

Austin Berner
Software Support Technician | Pingman Tools
support@pingman.com | (208) 345-0030

Attachments
image1.png (63 downloads)

#3501 - 11/13/19 12:15 AM Re: Have tried everything, isp keeps telling me its just my equipment [Re: AustinB]
brian1684 Offline

Thanks for the response. The issue is only seen while gaming, it happens all the time at random times not matter what I'm doing, but since gaming is so dependent, especially in a FPS game, upon a stable connection, that is where I really see it. I have several nest cams running on my network also and they never skip a beat. Ive been dealing with someone on dsl reports that works for mediacom and he is really trying to get to the bottom of everything. Hop 2 is most definitely my modem, but having tried different modems, we have ruled that out as the cause. He ran a voice session on my line the last few days, and while he is not seeing any signal issues, he was detecting the ping/latency issues but is unsure of the cause. He has escalated it further and techs are coming out tomorrow. So at least I finally have someone saying its not my equipment that is causing the problems which is a step in the right direction I guess.

As for the steps listed, I have traced everything on my net work and it all comes back fine. The only place I start getting the packet loss is when I go past Hop 2, my modem. I have my PS4 hardwired to my modem independent of my router, everything else goes through my router, so that further shows it is happening at the modem, only its not actually the modem that is the problem considering we have tried 2 other modems from mediacom as well...

Regardless I appreciate you looking at the data and trying to offer a direction to take. I will hopefully get some answers tomorrow from the techs...

#3502 - 11/18/19 04:27 PM Re: Have tried everything, isp keeps telling me its just my equipment [Re: brian1684]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hey there Brian,

Thanks for that information! I'm just checking in - were you able to get some answers from the techs or get your issue resolved yet?

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out anytime.

All the best,

Austin Berner
Software Support Technician | Pingman Tools
support@pingman.com | (208) 345-0030

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod