Topic Options
#3265 - 07/15/18 03:08 AM Interpreting and fixing my lag problems
SlipSpaze Offline

So recently Ive been having a really annoying problem with my internet and im not sure how to fix it. As shown in the picture(im not sure if the picture is here or not but thats not the point) the latency and jitter both spike in a sort of stepping pattern but they are sort of spaced out. Ive tried all the basic stuff but nothing has worked. If its any use ive had my network provider come out to my place multiple times to diagnose the problem with no success. Ive noticed this problem after a technician came out to install a few wires and change the wall jack that my modem connects to. And the installation of a few wires being another(possible old) wire connection from my house to an old office in a separate building but im pretty sure that connection doesnt work unless i plug my cat5 into both the modem and the wall on both ends. Sorry im drifting but im just giving all the info i can. Im desperate.

PingPlotter Graphs

#3266 - 07/16/18 04:53 PM Re: Interpreting and fixing my lag problems [Re: SlipSpaze]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hello!

Thanks for getting in touch - sorry to hear about your lag problems.

In the results you've provided, we can definitely see latency spikes you mentioned - which seem to start at hop #1, and carry through the entire route to your final target. This *may* imply that the culprit in any potential issues may be "close to home" (somewhere between the machine running PingPlotter - and hop #1, your modem) - but it's tough to say for certain. Without any knowledge of the issue you're attempting to troubleshoot, or reference on how these results correlate to your actual experience with your network - it's honestly tough for us to speculate on what may be happening here.

Your goal should be to correlate your experience with your network connection to any patterns you can identify in your PingPlotter results. For best results, you'll want to continuously trace to the service you're having trouble with (24x7, if possible). When you experience problems, make note of it in PingPlotter (more details on how to do this here: http://www.pingplotter.com/manual/time_line_graphing.html), so you can see if any "problem" patterns are present in your PingPlotter results when you're actually running into problems with your network connection. We cover this practice in quite a bit more detail here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/47

We've also got a great guide that goes over how to use PingPlotter to troubleshoot network issues, which may also prove helpful to you here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network/

Hopefully this helps out. If you have any questions, or if there's anything else we can do to be of assistance - please don't hesitate to reach out!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#3267 - 07/18/18 04:06 AM Re: Interpreting and fixing my lag problems [Re: Gary]
SlipSpaze Offline

Thankyou for providing some resources to troubleshoot my issue and also for taking the time out of your day to respond

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod