Topic Options
#3104 - 06/24/17 10:05 AM Please help me identify the problem
eagle06 Offline

Hi Experts,
I facing lag spike issue while gaming after recent windows updates or it must be same time my network got bad.

While gaming I am having random 1-2 freeze and in dota 2 network information it shows loss out packets as 50 when this happens.

The thing is if I do ping -t serverip.. there is zero packet loss.

Today I used ping plotter and I see there is a 80% packet loss at hop 2(my isp). The strange thing i observed is when ping plotter is running the ping -t serverip gives 100% packet loss and as soon as I close pingplotter it resumes.

I have attached the pingplotter snap and files.

Attachments
www.google.com.png (262 downloads)
www.google.com.pp2 (391 downloads)

#3105 - 06/26/17 05:56 PM Re: Please help me identify the problem [Re: eagle06]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hi Eagle,

Ouch. The data you sent over looks pretty painful.

The first question here would be - does it seem like the PingPlotter data you're collecting here is accurately representing your actual experience with this network? If the results you've got here are accurate, then this connection would be mostly unusable (80% packet loss throughout your route would make it *nearly* impossible to use this connection in any way, shape, or form). If your data here is indeed accurate, you'd be able to use your connection for around 12 seconds every 2 minutes.

If this data *doesn't* seem to accurately represent your network experience, then it's possible that something early in your route (possibly your modem/router - which we’re assuming is the device at hop #1) either has a buggy firmware (where it doesn't like a bunch of outstanding ICMP requests), or is deliberately dropping ICMP packets.

Before putting trust in the PingPlotter data you're seeing, you'll want to make an effort to verify that the packet loss you're seeing in PingPlotter is impacting non-ICMP traffic the same way it's impacting PingPlotter traffic. If the PingPlotter data doesn't accurately capture the network performance, then it becomes a liability to your troubleshooting effort (as it could be showing you the wrong picture).

There are a few quick tests you can run to see if you can gain some additional insight here:

- Make sure that the packet type in PingPlotter is set to ICMP ("Edit" -> "Options" -> "Engine"). Some devices/targets don't respond well to UDP or TCP packets (which *may* be the reason you're seeing this high percentage of packet loss).
- Try closing down all of your active traces, and performing one trace to a single target. Some modems/routers aren't fond of multiple outstanding requests (and if you've got several traces running at a low trace interval, it may be causing a device early in the route to start dropping requests after a certain threshold).
- Try running a traceroute from the command line to see what kind of results you get there (and see how they match up to the results you're getting in PingPlotter).
- If you've got a firewall, try disabling that temporarily (if you're able to do so safely) to see if that has any effect on your results in PingPlotter (some firewalls, or even over zealous virus scanning software can block PingPlotter from sending/receiving requests).

We’ve also got a knowledge base article that goes over some of the more common reasons you might see packet loss in PingPlotter, but not when using ping -t (as well as some strategies for dealing with this scenario) - which may prove helpful to you here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/37

Please let us know where this leaves you, and we'll be happy to help out from there!

Best wishes,

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod