Suggestion

Posted by: Anonymous

Suggestion - 11/06/03 06:38 AM

Hi, thanks for a great software. I have a suggestion that would help me a lot regarding plotting many IP-adresses. I would like to see the ability to enter a description on each IP adress. Most of the adresses I ping are internally on our network and has no DNS.

A nice option would be to be able to select whether to show the DNS name or a my own comments in the DNSName field.

Best Regards
Ragnar Anfinsen
Lyse Tele AS
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Suggestion - 11/06/03 06:40 AM

Sorry for leaving out which program I mean. I would like to see it espesially in MultiPing, but it would also be nice to see in Ping Plotter.

Best Regards
Ragnar Anfinsen
Lyse Tele AS
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: Suggestion - 11/06/03 12:44 PM

There is some capability for this in both MultiPing and Ping Plotter. If you enter your target like this:

192.168.1.128 My Host Name

Then "My Host Name" will be used for displaying that on the graphs in both Ping Plotter and MultiPing.

Will that work for you, or do you need something a bit more? There is no way to edit this IP -> Name association without restarting the trace (and reentering the IP and Name), but this might be just what you're looking for.
Posted by: Finnsen

Re: Suggestion - 11/07/03 03:22 AM

Thanx.. this is what I was looking for... Perfect.

Best Regards
Ragnar Anfisen
Lyse Tele AS
Posted by: NextLevel

Re: Suggestion - 02/27/13 11:21 AM

Doesn't work for me with PingPlotter Pro.

If I enter 8.8.8.8 MyTestName
the DNSName column still shows the reverse name resolution

If i use a DNS name like www.google GoogleSearch
it will not be accepted at all.

If I enter a dynamic DNS name like myhost.dyndns.com
the DNSName fields also show the reverse dns resolution name, but I would see the DNS name I've entered (myhost.dyndns.com)

How can this be done?
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: Suggestion - 02/27/13 12:05 PM

Yes - install this script:

http://www.nessoft.com/forum_search/msg1676

While you're at it, you might do this one, too (which lets you edit the names via a right-click menu):

http://www.nessoft.com/forum_search/msg2040