Very large latency spikes seen when running Speed test (ookla etc)

Posted by: Globe

Very large latency spikes seen when running Speed test (ookla etc) - 01/22/18 10:35 PM

I have just installed this to check it out.
I am seeing normal pings when testing against popular URLs.

However when I run a speed test and watch what's happening in multiping, there are massive spikes (200-290ms) during the test.
But the results from the speed test are excellent showing my latency around 11ms.

What's going on here? Is this normal?

Also, when I added the new address of my gateway IP (it adds and monitors all the devices connected to my network) there is zero activity on my main PC (the one I'm using now)? It's definitely connected and the one I use the most yet multiping isn't reporting any ping info at all just on this PC?
Posted by: Hayla

Re: Very large latency spikes seen when running Speed test (ookla etc) - 01/23/18 01:58 PM

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in!

This is totally normal. When you run a speed test, it temporarily will saturate your bandwidth to "test the pipe" You're seeing that in MultiPing, which is pretty cool in and of itself.

What results are you seeing in MultiPing when you add the new gateway? Can you trace to anything else with MultiPing? Can you use MultiPing and initiate a trace past your gateway (google is a good one to default to)? If you'd like, feel free to drop some screenshots here and I'll give them a look.