Error when attempting to load old .pps files

Posted by: Kenric

Error when attempting to load old .pps files - 03/14/01 12:39 PM

I just installed v2.21 beta 3 (previously using 2.031 beta 4), and when I try to load my old .pps sample sets, I get the following error:<br><br>Access violation at address 0040289E in module 'PINGPL~1.EXE'.<br><br>I can save and load the new .pp2 format just fine.<br><br>Is that a problem in the previous version or is it a bug in the current beta?<br><br>Thanks,<br><br>-Kenric<br><br>
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: Error when attempting to load old .pps files - 03/14/01 12:44 PM

Any time you get an access violation, that's a bug in the version you're using. They shouldn't happen. 2.2x should be able to load all previous save files.<br><br>Can you possibly e-mail me a copy of one of the files you're having problems with? (pete@nessoft.com). This will let me verify the problem - and where it is.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: Error when attempting to load old .pps files - 03/14/01 01:03 PM

Thanks for the private e-mail with an example file.<br><br>The 2.21 betas (both beta 2 and beta 3) have a problem loading .PPS files (as opposed to .pp2 - the new file extension and format). I fixed this problem about 4 weeks ago for the next release, but I'm working on one particularily insidious oddity that's blocked me from doing the next release, so it's not available yet.<br><br>A work-around for this problem is to use version 2.20 (you can install 2.20 to a different directory if you want to continue to use 2.21 for new data) to load the .PPS files you want to use - and then save these files (with version 2.20) in the new file format (.pp2 extension). You'll then be able to load these .pp2 save files with version 2.20 or any new version (including 2.21 beta 3).<br><br>Thanks for the report on this!<br><br>