Additions to the Alert functions

Posted by: Ulva

Additions to the Alert functions - 07/18/00 06:20 PM

Just a suggestion, as I could actually need this. How about adding conditions that would trigger the alert-part if x or more traces fails (as in not responding, 0)?<br><br>And/or a setting that makes it send a mail if it's more than x% packet loss x last traces.<br><br>I want to know as soon as possible when I loose contact with a particular host, not if it's slow.<br><br>Also being able to trace more than one host without opening two different Ping Plotters would be nice :-)<br><br>-Marthe. <br><br><br>
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: Additions to the Alert functions - 07/18/00 06:26 PM

You can do this currently by using "X" or more traces over 9998 ms. Timeouts come in at infinity, so a timeout is always greater than the number you specify. You can do packet loss % this way by chaning your "Traces to examine" in addition to the "X or more traces over" values.<br><br>Multiple hosts .... someday .... (I have prototypes working on that, but I'm not very happy with them yet).<br><br>Let me know if you have any problems on getting the alerts working. Also, you might have a look at the alerts setup page:<br><br><A HREF="http://www.pingplotter.com/alerts.html" target="_new">http://www.pingplotter.com/alerts.html</A><br><br>
Posted by: Ulva

Re: Additions to the Alert functions - 08/28/00 08:18 AM

Okay..<br><br>I think my misunderstandings made you misunderstand me :-)<br><br>What I was searching for was to make an alert monitor on the whole trace, not only one of the hops. I want to see if one or more of the hosts fails, do I have to add a monitor on them all? And what with the hops that change? Does the alert check the hop number or the actual host/ip?<br><br>What I'm searching for is the possibility to do a condition saying: If one or more of the hosts in $trace gets more than 50% packet loss the last 10 traces, send me an email please. :-)<br>Is that doable somehow? If not, can it become doable in any future versions of Ping Plotter? :-)<br><br>Thanks for a great program :)<br><br>-Marthe<br><br>
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: Additions to the Alert functions - 09/06/00 10:51 AM

This is currently not an option. There's a pretty good reason for that (at least I believe it's a good reason), but feel free to respond to this to convince me otherwise.<br><br>The route a packet takes to a destination is really only important in how it affects the data in reaching the final destination. It's possible that a particular hop in the middle of a route may show high packet loss, but the final destination shows no packet loss. If this is the case, then that hop isn't adding its results to your final destination - and the only thing we *really* care about is the packet loss and latency at the final destination.<br><br>Generally, I'd suggest only monitoring the final destination - as 90% packet loss with 1500ms round trip times on any hop before that is irrelavent unless it affects the final destination. There's really no point in alerting on any hop before the final destination unless you have specific interest in that hop.<br><br>Hope that helps a bit - again, feel free to respond with reasons why we might care about the other hops!<br><br>