PingPlotter

Posted by: FrankHamersley

PingPlotter - 08/24/00 06:14 AM

Pete,<br><br>I have been trialling PP 2.20 and find that the tail end of the route does not always resolve correctly (when compared to MS tracert performed at the same time). Quite often the target host is detected but the number of hops shown is much greater that it should be.<br><br>For example at the moment I am pinging from Malaysia to Australia and the target is almost always 15 hops away, but PP first showed it as 32 hops and eventually settled as 27 hops.<br><br>The host is ozemail.lnk.telstra.net (IP 139.130.32.18) which is a peer link from Telstra to UUnet in Australia.<br><br>Any ideas,<br><br>Frank.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: PingPlotter - 08/24/00 09:45 AM

Hi.<br><br>Do all the "extra" hops show IP addresses as well, or do they always get timeouts?<br><br>This isn't a problem I normally hear about, so I'm a bit perplexed (and would like to determine exactly what the cause is). I'd like to see both routes (the one that Ping Plotter makes vs the one that TraceRT makes). <br><br>Also, try going to "Advanced Options", then go to the "Packet Options" tab and change "Time interval between hop traces:" to 1000. This will *hugely* slow down your performance, but will simulate a non-multi threaded application because it will only send out one request a second (rather than having multiple simultaneous requests).<br> <br><br><br>

Re: PingPlotter - 08/24/00 10:08 PM

Pete, increasing the "Time Interval between Traces" to 1000ms "cures" the problem. When the fault occurs the intervening slots show no data at all. I will mail a couple of jpg's directly to you showing the situation.<br><br>I am using a Win98 2nd Edition system and it appears to have problems with the 50 ms rate...Pentium II 266Mhz Compaq laptop with 96M RAM.<br><br>Hope this provides something to work with...maybe PP could back off if it detects something like this happening.<br><br>Cheers<br><br>Frank.<br><br>

Re: PingPlotter - 08/24/00 10:28 PM

Pete,<br><br>An observation....it seems to happen if a response packet (time exceeded or reply) is not received before the "Time Interval" is exceeded. The link that I am tracing often has delays from 1500 to 4500 ms and it seems I have to exceed this to ensure PP doesn't get confused about which outbound packet caused this inbound one.<br><br>Cheers<br><br>Frank.<br><br>
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: PingPlotter - 09/06/00 11:01 AM

Hi Frank.<br><br>My initial reaction to this is that there's a problem with your router. I've not personally ever seen this problem, but I've heard of quite a few instances where upgrading the bios in your router fixes this problem.<br><br>Which router are you using? I'll look through my records and see if I've had reports of problems with that in the past.<br><br><br>