Beta Version Expired and Warning on each launch

Posted by: Luke H

Beta Version Expired and Warning on each launch - 11/21/11 02:48 PM

Hi-
I've got PingPlotter Pro installed (beta v3.30.5p beta 4) and as of a few days ago it started popping up this warning dialog on every launch:

Besides just being annoying, it begs the question -- is this ever going to come out of beta and get released? PP development seems to have stalled as of late. Is there a new project in the works or --- ? I haven't found anything else that comes close to PP when it comes to features & functionality so I hope this isn't a sign that the product is being abandoned frown
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: Beta Version Expired and Warning on each launch - 11/21/11 05:05 PM

Hi, Luke.

We've got a whole pile of projects that have been started or near completion: IPv6, separating the GUI and ping engine, MAC OSX version, server groups, hosted "cloud" PingPlotter, updated web interface, etc. Definitely not being abandoned - just not moving forward as fast as any of us hope.

We're hoping to have a new version (probably beta, because it has a new MSI-based installer that hasn't had a very diverse test base yet) out in the next week or so. You can reset the beta warning by "touching" the file date on the PingPlotter.exe file you currently have - you can either download a utility to change the date/time of a file, or you can do it manually via a command prompt like this (change to your install path first): "type "PingPlotter.exe" > c:\TempDir\PingPlotter.exe" - then copy your new PingPlotter.exe to the original directory. That will change your file date to now and reset the warning. The easiest way might just be to wait a week or so, though, and we'll get you a new build.

Sorry for the inconvenience - and thanks for checking in.

- Pete
Posted by: Luke H

Re: Beta Version Expired and Warning on each launch - 11/21/11 06:02 PM

Ok wow sounds like some cool things on the horizon. I can modify the file date of the exe, that's not a problem (didn't know that trick). How will the new beta be announced? Will an email go out to testers or should I just check in on the homepage from time to time? cheers & happy Thanksgiving!