Need help understanding graphs

Posted by: Anonymous

Need help understanding graphs - 09/29/04 04:52 PM

Lately I have been having many problems with my VoIP service. After running PingPlotter, it is apparent that there is a problem with my ISP. However, before I call them to complain, I thought I would post my message here and try to get some assistance to better understand the results.

Now I feel really dumb, because I can not figure out how to post the image of the trace.

Thanks for any help,

Debbie
Posted by: Pete Ness

Re: Need help understanding graphs - 09/29/04 06:20 PM

Hi Debbie.

To attach a file to the forums here, turn on the checkmark for "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file ". Once you hit the continue button, you'll get an area where you can browse for and attach the image file (must be a png, jpg or gif to fit a decent size image within the 65K limits - png file works great because PingPlotter saves this image type natively). Alternately, if you email the picture to support@pingplotter.com, we'll attach it for you.

- Pete

Re: Need help understanding graphs - 09/29/04 10:27 PM

Interesting data, Debbie.

It looks like your cable ISP, Bend Cable, is having some problems with its connection with 360 networks (which owns the brands "Touch America" and "Group Telecom" - both represented in your traceroute).

At some point during collecrtion session, your ISP stopped routing data through Verio, and started routing through 360 networks - and that's when your problems started in the data you sent us.

I've attached a couple of pictures - one when your connection was OK, one when it wasn't. This is absolutely something you need to talk to Bend Cable about - they're in control here.

Here's the graph of the data you sent us, but the upper graph is zoomed in on just the good part of the graph.

Re: Need help understanding graphs - 09/29/04 10:27 PM

And here's the problem time. Notice the big jump in latency and packet loss at hop 5 - the connection between Bend Cable and TAmerica.net (360 networks). Call your cable company - or email them - and point them at this post. When your data is using Verio, the connection is OK (slight packet loss, good latency). When your data is going through TAmerica, you get a *LOT* higher latency and significant packet loss. They should be able to talk about how they're working to solve this problem.