How much monitoring is too much?

Posted by: Mike.applecart

How much monitoring is too much? - 08/21/17 04:31 PM

I am a huge fan of PingPlotter, it's been super helpful in monitoring key devices on my network.

I'm wondering if it would be worth monitoring almost all of the devices? We're a small/medium sized business, I'd have about 20-40 devices per location, with four locations total. I probably wouldn't setup every single PC, but all printers and some multi-user workstations, and some equipment at our manufacturing plant would be useful to get on pingplotter. Especially with alerting for some devices.

I understand this is relative to the environment, but is there a "rule of thumb" for when monitoring starts to affect performance?
Posted by: Gary

Re: How much monitoring is too much? - 08/21/17 06:47 PM

Hey Mike,

Thanks for reaching out! It’s great to hear that PingPlotter has been proving helpful to your monitoring efforts.

We’re admittedly a bit biased - but we believe that more monitoring is always a good call! Having greater visibility of your network (by tracing to most of your important devices) can definitely help you stay ahead of problems before they occur, and can help give you more information when you’re trying to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

Just to clarify: are you wanting to utilize 1 instance of PingPlotter to trace to all the devices across your 4 locations? Or are you wanting to set up an instance of PingPlotter at each location to trace to the 20-40 devices on site? If you’d like to send over some details of what you’re hoping to accomplish (you can post them here, or shoot us an email at support@pingman.com), we’d be more than happy to offer any guidance we can on what the best setup may be!

Best wishes,

-Gary