Topic Options
#318 - 11/10/00 06:25 PM DNS queries
alavan Offline

Sure would be cool if we could plot DNS queries as well. I'm having performance issues with UUNET's DNS servers - not ping responses, but DNS responses to queries. Sometimes they take as long as 3 seconds.<br><br>I have found no utility on the planet that will plot these responses so that I can show them that they need to upgrade their darn boxes.<br><br>

#319 - 11/14/00 07:18 PM Re: DNS queries [Re: alavan]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
If you feel really ambitious, you can write a COM object that Ping Plotter will collect data from instead of the standard ping/trace engine it uses. I might have a look at an example of how to do this - and a DNS (final hop only, of course) one might be fun for this.<br><br>Unfortunately, I'm in the midst of a move, so it's unlikely I'll be able to do anything along these lines till early December or so. If you feel like messing with this yourself and have access to a language that can build COM objects, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction. It should be pretty simple (with some caveots, of course, since we can't actually trace DNS lookups).<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod