Topic Options
#301 - 10/09/00 10:25 AM Connection Documentation -- Is there a way?
Ulva Offline

Loc: Fetsund, Norway
Ok... Please let me know if this does not make sense ;-)<br><br>I am on a leased line, should be up and running 24h 7 days a week. We've been having problems with our connection to the US (We're in Norway), and our ISP seems to refuse to admit that this is a problem. And all in all, we would like to have a bunch of ping plotter files to show where the problem lies, in case we need it sometime in the future.<br><br>So, currently, PP is set up to save to a file every 30 minutes, the file is set as \$host\$host - $date so that there will only be one file per day. But if I leave PP to just do traces, day 7 will include all samples for the last week. I want one file per day, where the traces and samples are cleared at 12am and starts over again. Then every file would show only that day, no more no less.<br><br>How I've set it up today, the file on day 7 would be pretty large, and my computer would be horribly slow. <br><br>Is there a way in the current PP 2.20, to create such documentation? I was playing with the thought of using a macro program to stop and start PP at 12am but I believe the "Do you want to save?"-box will interfere with this. Also, having samples in memory for the last week isn't a good option, I notice heavy slowdown on my workstation in only a couple of days.. (128Mb ram). I've also checked the command line options for pp, but since the pp2-file will have new name every time it's supposed to start, I'm really out of ideas. :(<br><br>Does this make sense? Have I managed to make a picture of what I'm looking for?<br><br>Btw, when I shutdown my windows 2000 computer, pp comes with the save-dialogue... if I do not press cancel and quit normally, any settings I've done while the program were running (not the samples though), like auto-alert settings, are lost. <br><br>Thanks,<br><br>-Ulva<br><br>

#302 - 10/09/00 10:51 AM Re: Connection Documentation -- Is there a way? [Re: Ulva]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
This isn't *exactly* what you're asking for, I don't think, but you can set up your maximum samples to hold in memory (Advanced option, auto-save tab, "maximum samples to hold in memory") to approximately the number of samples you collect during the day. The last save of the day (since you're doing it every 30 minutes) would basically have 24 hours worth of data that way, and the sample count would stay low enough that you shouldn't have any performance problems. You might even want to use a number that gives you a few hours from the previous day - so you don't have to look at 2 days worth of data when the problem occurs at midnight (ie: make the save file include 28 hours, or just a bit over 24).<br><br>Feel free to comment on how well this solution will work for you.<br><br>As for the problem not saving when Ping Plotter is signaled to close by Windows shutdown - I'll have a look at this, I'm imagining how this could happen.<br><br>

#303 - 10/11/00 10:46 AM Re: Connection Documentation -- Is there a way? [Re: Pete Ness]
Ulva Offline

Loc: Fetsund, Norway
Hmm... That may not be exactely what I want, but I don't think the result would be that off from what I originally had in mind. The thought had occured to me, but did not pay much attention to it smile I will try it out at least, to see how it will work. Thanks. :)<br><br>-Ulva<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod