Topic Options
#4001 - 06/13/23 11:50 AM 50% packet loss at the router and going forward
BLUE_BIRD Offline

I've got the following situation with my 1 Gbit Fiber (FTTH).

I changed two different routers.
My ISP says it's not their network. They also changed the ONT, the terminal they install at home btw the fiber and my router (a Fritzbox).

What can it be?

#4002 - 06/14/23 05:12 PM Re: 50% packet loss at the router and going forward [Re: BLUE_BIRD]
Sean B. Offline

Hey Blue_Bird

Thank you for posting here. Looking at the images you shared, it looks like the issue is beginning with Hop 1 and continues to Hop 2.

The end destinations both look fine which is the most important point here. As long as the end destination is experiencing low latency and no packet loss it's in good shape!

What you're likely experiencing is your router de-prioritizing ICMP packets or dropping ICMP Time Exceeded responses. Many routers are configured to do this so you might notice something similar with other traces as you use PingPlotter. You can read more details about that here: https://www.pingman.com/kb/article/one-poorly-responding-router-5.html

What I would recommend is to change the packet type by opening PingPlotter Settings and going to Engine > Packet Type. Test out a different packet type such as UDP to see if you get a different result. You could also try targeting your local network device's IP addresses to see what the response there is. If they aren't experiencing any packet loss, that means they're de-prioritizing ICMP packets, if you do see packet loss that might indicate that there's something wrong with that device and it's causing network issues.

If you like, you can collect some of that data and share it here for me to review. I'm more than happy to look over anything you want to share. Let me know if you have any other questions or if you need anything else.

Thanks again Blue_Bird!

Edited by Sean B. (06/14/23 05:12 PM)

PingPlotter | Technical Support Engineer

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod