Topic Options
#3085 - 05/26/17 12:02 AM 100% PL in the 2nd to last hop?
Josh Offline

Hi - I'm yet another person trying to figure out what's causing lag in my Rocket League games. I've read through most of the Wisdom pages and searched some of the forum to no luck so far, so I'm hoping to find help with a post of my own.

I've pulled the log files for the IP of two recent servers that had lag, and ran each in PingPlotter, and am finding both to have an identical situation wherein the 11th of 12 hops (I hope I'm using this terminology correctly) shows no information save for 100% Packet Loss. Right clicking shows the text "not a responding hop"

Is this the source of my trouble? Can anyone here provide a suggestion on how to work through it?

I'm attaching the PP2 files of these two servers, as well as a run on Google.com showing that I'm experiencing no such issue there.

Please help!

Attachments
104.207.149.46.vultr.com.pp2 (690 downloads)
ip45-32-82-99.datahound.com.pp2 (564 downloads)
google.com.pp2 (697 downloads)

#3086 - 05/26/17 12:26 PM Re: 100% PL in the 2nd to last hop? [Re: Josh]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Josh,

Thanks for getting in touch!

First things first, the 100% packet loss that you're seeing at hop #11 isn't necessarily anything to worry about. Some devices aren't fond of timed out ICMP requests, and may down prioritize them (or not respond to them at all) to make way for other network traffic. When this happens, it can show up as packet loss at that hop in PingPlotter - but as long as the packet loss or latency isn't carrying through to the next hop (or to the final destination in your route), then it's usually nothing you need to factor into your troubleshooting efforts. We cover this idea in a bit more detail here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/5

The results we can see in the .pp2 files you provided don't seem to point to any specific problems. An average latency of <20ms with no packet loss is usually considered to be a pretty great connection. This doesn't mean that you're *not* experiencing issues, though - it just means that a bit of additional work may need to be done to capture them.

If you're experiencing lag during your games, your best bet is to use PingPlotter to trace to the game server you're playing on. You can let the program run in the background (continuously) while you're playing the game, and when you experience any issues - make a note of them in PingPlotter. You can then see if there are any "problem patterns" in your PingPlotter data that match up with the issues you've experienced in the game, and use that information to narrow down what your culprit may be.

We've got a great guide that goes over some best practices and strategies for troubleshooting network issues using PingPlotter, which may prove helpful to you here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network

Hopefully this helps get you headed in the right direction! If you have any questions, or if you should find yourself needing any other guidance - please don't hesitate to let us know.

Best wishes,

-Gary

#3087 - 05/26/17 05:15 PM Re: 100% PL in the 2nd to last hop? [Re: Gary]
Josh Offline

Hi Gary,

Thanks so much for the comprehensive response!

Can you clarify on running continuously in the background? I understand how to pull the IP from the game logs of my most recent server, and then plug that into PingPlotter to evaluate that specific server - is there a way to have PingPlotter pull the connection from a specific program?

My quandary here is that each time you join a game in Rocket League, it starts me on a fresh server. Is the answer here to connect to a game, alt-tab out, pull the log for the IP, plug that into PingPlotter, and then return to the game?

Thanks again,
Josh

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod