Topic Options
#2751 - 10/04/15 07:58 AM Internet not working properly.
brackejocke Offline

As the title suggests, my internet is acting up on me. I'm a huge gamefreak and I recently moved and thus got a new internet, which isn't working properly. I get huge pingspikes when playing games, so I thought I'd try pingplotter out, but since I'm new I'm having a hard time interprating the data. I'd appreciate some help. Cheers.

[img][img]http://i.imgur.com/PVYjw9x.png[/img][/img]

Attachments
Leagueping.png (152 downloads)

Edited by brackejocke (10/04/15 07:59 AM)

#2752 - 10/05/15 12:42 PM Re: Internet not working properly. [Re: brackejocke]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey brackejocke,

Thanks for writing in! Sorry to hear about your internet trouble.

It's tough to speculate on exactly what may be happening with the small amount of data we have here. The results we can see in your screenshot do a *small* amount of packet loss - but it's hard to tell exactly what's happening with only being able to see 30 minutes worth of data for only the final hop.

The screenshot by itself doesn't definitively point to any sort of specific issue; but that doesn't mean that you're *not* experiencing issues, though. It just means that a bit of additional work may need to be done to capture them.

If you're experiencing lag with an online game you're playing, your best bet is to use PingPlotter to trace to the game server you're using (which it looks like you're already doing here - good work!). From there, you can let the program run in the background (continuously) while you're playing the game, and when you experience any issues - make a note of them in PingPlotter. You can then see if there are any "problem patterns" in your PingPlotter data that match up with the issues you've experienced in the game, and use that information to narrow down what your culprit may be.

If you haven't seen it yet, we've got a great guide that goes over some best practices and strategies for troubleshooting network issues such as this one using PingPlotter, which may prove helpful to your cause here:

http://pingplotter.com/netnirvana/

Hopefully this helps get you headed in the right direction. If you'd like, feel free to send a .pp2 file of your results to us, and we'd be happy to look over them and offer any guidance we can from there!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2753 - 10/06/15 05:48 AM Re: Internet not working properly. [Re: Gary]
brackejocke Offline

I can see now that you're only able to see a small amount of data, and ofcourse that makes it hard for you, that's all on me, sorry. I'll take a look at the guide you linked me, thanks. And I'll add the .pp2 file of me playing league of legends, it covers about an hour of me playing, I don't know if that's enough data, but maybe you'll be able to get something more out of it.

Thank you for fast response and great service btw, it's rare these days!

Attachments
Leagueping.pp2 (496 downloads)

#2754 - 10/06/15 11:33 AM Re: Internet not working properly. [Re: brackejocke]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey brackejocke,

No problem at all!

Was this trace done during a period where you were having trouble playing the game (was it a "good" or "bad" period)?

It's still a bit tough to speculate on an hour of data, but it looks like there *may* be some bandwidth constraint between hop #1 and #2 (your pattern at hop #2 looks reminiscent of bandwidth saturation - which seems to carry through your route). You wouldn't be able to say that this is your issue for certain, though, without a bit more information. Ideally, you want your PingPlotter trace to capture a good *and* a bad period. In our experience, letting a trace run continuously for around 24 hours (or longer) is a great way to capture this.

Hopefully you find the guide helpful! If you need any other guidance, please don't hesitate to shoot any additional info/.pp2 files our way!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2756 - 10/09/15 10:16 AM Re: Internet not working properly. [Re: Gary]
brackejocke Offline

Well, I only have "bad" periods when playing games, I don't notice the problems when doing other things, but I'll try a 24 hour+ trace and send it to you, once again, thanks for great support.

#2757 - 10/11/15 07:59 AM Re: Internet not working properly. [Re: brackejocke]
brackejocke Offline

So i've ran a trace over about 30 hours now, where can I send the file for you to look at? I can't add it to the message like I did with my last one because the file's too big. Thanks in advance.

#2758 - 10/12/15 12:09 PM Re: Internet not working properly. [Re: brackejocke]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

If you'd like, you can just shoot the .pp2 file over to us via email at support@pingman.com, and we'll be happy to dig into it!

-Gary

#2759 - 10/14/15 08:23 AM Re: Internet not working properly. [Re: Gary]
brackejocke Offline

Alright, I'll send an email with the file for you to take a look at, thanks alot Gary!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod