Topic Options
#3581 - 02/15/20 02:27 PM Can you help me understanding my problem ?
Lansky Offline

Hey guys, i'm new with pingplotter and am trying to understand my packet loss. Images aer Below. Before the packet loss from hop 2 and onward appears, the first hop Changes his Ip for a second and changes back to the normal ip.

I hope you guys can help me understanding the problem. Is it the router trying to send some packets to a different modem ?!

thank you in advance !

Attachments
Pingpl.png (78 downloads)

#3582 - 02/17/20 05:47 PM Re: Can you help me understanding my problem ? [Re: Lansky]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi Lansky,

Thanks for posting on the forum!

It looks like there is some packet loss being introduced into the route by your router. I'd recommend two things:

First, gather more data (48 hrs worth). Here are some recommended steps you can take to narrow down your results and identify where the problem is:

1. Trace to the site or service you are having issues with (Netflix, Fortnite server, Zoom.com, etc.) *see below for how to find your gaming server IP address.
2. You can also trace to your ISP (generally hop #2 or #3). A "WHOIS" google search on the IP address usually provides results about who the IP address is registered to.
3. Trace to your router (Usually the first hop in the route - 192.168.0.1 or something similar).
4. Trace to your NIC (Network Interface Card). In Windows, run Command Line as administrator and type ipconfig and look for the IPv4 address - this is your NIC IP.
5. Finally, trace to your loopback address (127.0.0.1). This lets you verify that any issues you are seeing are not related to the hardware or IP stack on the machine you're using.
6. Trace to a reference address like google.com
7. After 48 hrs, in your All Targets Summary tab, double-click each entry to bring up their Timeline Graphs.
8. Scroll through the graph and when latency or packet loss occurs, compare the graphs and look for where the issue begins in the route.

*To find your game server IP address you can open the command line (in Windows WIN+R -> type "CMD") or terminal (on Mac cmd+SPACE -> type "terminal" -> Enter) and type "netstat -n" this will give you a list of all of the connections that your machine is connected to. You will see headings for Protocol, Local Address, Foreign Address, and State. Look through the list and see if you can find a program name that seems like it might be your game and grab the Foreign Address and that is likely your game server IP address.

Here are a few articles which discuss result interpretation a little further:

- Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss
- Common Network Problems

If you still have questions after looking at your data, you can share it with us and we're happy to take a look and give you our two cents.

You can share your results with us by changing your Focus field to reflect 48 hours (or more), then clicking File -> Share -> Create Share Page - then, send the URL of your share page to support@pingman.com.

- PingPlotter Sharing

Second, I'd recommend resetting your router and see if it behaves any better. If that doesn't help, if you have a modem, you might try plugging in directly to the modem with an ethernet cable, bypassing the router and see what kind of results you get. You could also try a different router if you have access to one to see if that makes any difference.

Let us know if this leaves you with any questions!

Thanks,

-Poe

Edited by Poe (02/17/20 05:49 PM)

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod