Topic Options
#3417 - 06/23/19 06:25 PM Packet loss, laag spikes. Where is a problem?
Troley Offline

Hello!

My problem started couple of days agoo when playing Path of Exile on the Frankfurt gateway. I started experiencing laag spikes, high ping some input delay overall low gameplay quality. First I thought that game server is having bad day but no one of my friends was having the same problem on the same game server. So I begin investigation. I ran trace route first with WinMTR. I found a topic on the Path of Exile forum, some kind troubleshooting guide how to trace route to different Path of Exile servers, list with ip adresses, host names etc. There was a short guide how to interprete this results. In my WinMTR results there is High, almost 30 - 50% packet loss in the middle of the route. In the guide from the PoE forum there was a line that if there is a packet loss in the middle of the route the problem is in the upstream/downstream provider and it is better to phone call my ISP, and they should contact with that provider and somehow solve this problem.

So I phone called My ISP and told him about this trace route test and this high packet loss in the middle of the route, he asked me to tell him exact ip adress to this bad hostname. He told me that he will contact them via email and try to solve this.

That was yesterday. I started digging deeper in the internet and found You guys and this awensome tool PingPlotter and a lot of tutorials and articles on this site. It helped me to understand a little bit more. I found this article and this information
Quote:
A common cause of non-continuing packet loss is a router with low priority for timed out ICMP requests (ICMP requests where the TTL equals 0 after reaching them)

So if I am understanding this right I can ignore that 30% packet loss in the middle of the route right? And if this is true, My problems starts somewhere else. This is so confusing for me and thats why. Here is My PingPlotter result for the Frankfurt Server: Results

Yesterday I thought that this 2 - 3% packet loss (starting at my ISP ending at Frankfurt) is not so bad vs almost 30% packet loss in the middle so I totaly ignored that when I phone called my ISP, but now after reading your articles and tutorials I am a little bit confused.

If this 30% packet loss is just low priority for timed out ICMP requests and can be totally ignored then problem starts at my ISP but what if that 30% packet loss matter?

And here I ask for help to interprete this whole result. Help me understand what is happening with my connection and how I can solve this problem frown

Thanks with advance and apologise for my not so good english smile

#3418 - 06/24/19 11:19 AM Re: Packet loss, laag spikes. Where is a problem? [Re: Troley]
Hayla Offline
Pingman Staff

Hey Troley,

Thanks for writing in!

I took a look at your results - and you're on the right track. It looks like you have some packet loss starting at hop 3, and then later on in the route you have quite a bit of packet loss to another hop. What we're really interested in is finding the packet loss that was present on the final hop - so we want to find that 2.4% packet loss. It looks like the earliest hop with that packet loss would be hop 3, from what I can see. That 30% packet loss can be disregarded - it doesn't carry to the final hop, so we're all good!

Let me know if that helped - or if you need anything else.

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod