Topic Options
#3173 - 10/28/17 12:17 AM Help Interpreting my results
lightfairy Offline

Loc: FL
Hello,

I've been having packet loss for a little over a month and I can't play ANY online games (Guild Wars 2, Final Fantasy XIV, Diablo 3, Black Desert Online, etc) without having high ping/latency and it's very frustrating.

I also occasionally work from home as well and it's annoying to work on websites and upload files in emails and getting timed out or losing packets during that process.

I have my ISP currently monitoring my issue (I have a business account so I get priority over residential) and my ticket has been escalated to Tier 2 technicians.

I just want to know exactly what is going on in this graph I got here as I ping Google for over an hour.

I hope this get fixed soon! I really want to play my games again... frown

Attachments
google.com.pp2 (463 downloads)

Edited by lightfairy (10/28/17 12:20 AM)

#3174 - 10/30/17 01:11 PM Re: Help Interpreting my results [Re: lightfairy]
Hayla Offline
Pingman Staff

Hey lightfairy,

Thanks for posting!

The results in your graph definitely indicate some latency and packet loss, and at certain points, I'm able to see from which hop the latency/packet loss is originating. However, when you're running a trace like this, the best thing to do is to trace to the resource you're accessing (like the gaming server), and when you notice higher latency than normal, make a note of it. When you have a moment, head back to your PingPlotter results, and track down the time that corresponds to the time you made a note of. Here, you should be able to trace back to which hop is generating this packet loss and carrying through to the final destination, and hopefully be able to then address that hop by whichever means are appropriate. It looks like you've got a great grasp on the first steps to diagnosing an issue like this; moving forward, we have a great page on our site that'll walk you through exactly how to generate traces and interpret the results, located here:

https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network

Feel free to click around here; I'd like to especially direct you to the link on the left under "diagnose the problem" titled "Interpreting Results"; this page is really helpful in checking out the results like what you've sent us.

Thank you, by the way, for sending over that .pp2 file! That is so helpful. I would love to be able to tell you exactly what's going on, but at different time intervals, I am seeing different packet losses originating in different areas. So, in order to be able to tell where the issue is coming from, you'll just need to keep this running (but run your traces to the resources you're trying to use, such as your gaming server), and like I said above, just make a note of when you notice an issue. This will help you to correlate tangible, visible problems to your PingPlotter data, so that you can bring that to your ISP (if the issue is one that they have anything to do with).

I hope this helped! Let me know if there's anything I can elaborate on.

#3293 - 09/01/18 06:22 PM Re: Help Interpreting my results [Re: Hayla]
OMO7 Offline

Once you figure out which hop it is, what can you do about it?

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod