Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#986 - 11/10/03 06:21 PM Ping multiple IPs at once;add ping to context menu
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are there any plans to enable ping plotter to ping multiple IPs at once? Currently I have to start multiple instances of ping plotter to achieve this.

Also a great feature to add would be thet when someone highlights/selects an IP with the cursor, if he could be able to right click on that selected text and send it to ping plotter. This would be tons better than having to cut and paste the IP's, especially when you ping IPs all day. Ideally if you integrated both ideas, you could highlight the IP, right click on it and select "add to ping 1, or add to ping 2" etc.

#987 - 11/10/03 06:30 PM Re: Ping multiple IPs at once;add ping to context menu
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Thanks for the feedback.

Multiple Instances:

Absolutely. We're working on a "Pro" version that has this capability. Also, our new MultiPing product has the ability to "ping" multiple destinations (although not traceroute, just a ping).

Context Menu:

What applications do you want this added to? We have done some work with Internet Explorer and context menus, but that is limited to just Internet Explorer. This isn't fully flushed out yet, so this capability probably won't make it in to the *very* next release.

Is Internet Explorer enough? Do you have other areas that you would like context menus to be able to send to Ping Plotter? It gets harder with a lot of applications (but it's not *so* hard with Internet Explorer).

#988 - 11/10/03 06:58 PM Re: Ping multiple IPs at once;add ping to context menu [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Where can I download your MultiPing Program I would love to try it out? All I really need is the graphical portion of the ping plotter product. If thats all your MultiPing product does then its perfect. I hope the graphs are stacked on top of each other so i can track all pings in real time and see what affects what.

as for the contect menu, I cant speak for other users, but I just use IE reports to obtain the IPs I ping. If you can design it aroung IE that too would be perfect. You would have two options:

1) the user determines X amount of ping graphs your product will display and ping. The context menu will show " add to ping 1, add to ping 2,... add to ping "n" " with n being the amount of ping graphs the user chose.

or

2) just have a "add to ping plotter" context menu item and your program adds a new graph line ad hoc.

just an idea. hope you use it. If you need beta testers, let me know

#989 - 11/10/03 07:02 PM Re: Ping multiple IPs at once;add ping to context menu
Pete Ness Offline

MultiPing is still in pre-release form, but is available for public download. You can see a screenshot and some description at www.multiping.com.

We'll add your comments on the IE integration to the change request details. Thanks for the feedback on that.

#990 - 11/10/03 07:24 PM Re: Ping multiple IPs at once;add ping to context menu [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

using Multiping now. It has great potential and looks like a winner. One more suggestion, I dont know if it can be done or not ( theres no help file) but is there a way stop individual pings only? When I click on the stop button, it stops all my pings.

#991 - 11/10/03 07:41 PM Re: Ping multiple IPs at once;add ping to context menu
Pete Ness Offline

The pings all happen in unison. You can stop pinging an individual host by deleting it from the list (right-click it and use that menu, or select it and hit the delete key), and then re-add it when you want to ping it again.

It this doesn't satify your needs, please let us know - with your usage model and why it doesn't fit.

#992 - 11/10/03 07:42 PM Re: Ping multiple IPs at once;add ping to context menu [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

One other thing you may want to add is way to add labels to the ping graphs. "Petes PC" is easier to locate among 6 active pings than 11.278.34.22 . If you could show the label followed by the IP (i.e Petes PC - 11.278.34.22 ) it would make it even more user friendly.

#993 - 11/10/03 07:48 PM Re: Ping multiple IPs at once;add ping to context menu
Pete Ness Offline

Try entering the IP address like this:

11.278.34.22 Petes PC

That will show the graphs as the name "Petes PC", rather than the reverse-resolved name. We're still working on documentation, and this is one of those "not-so-clear" features that's hard to stumble across, but handy.

#994 - 11/10/03 08:07 PM Re: Ping multiple IPs at once;add ping to context menu [Re: Pete Ness]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to bother you again but I have yet another suggestion. How about adding the ability to group sets of pings i.e tabs. The abilty to label the tabs would be good also.

Any plans to make this program run as a service on NT, 2K or XP?

#995 - 11/10/03 08:19 PM Re: Ping multiple IPs at once;add ping to context menu
Pete Ness Offline

You can set up a "workspace" with destinations and graphs set up like you want. You can then easily switch between these, but not without closing the existing workspace. Of course you can always run Multiple instances of MultiPing - each with its own workspace. We don't have any *short-term* plans to allow loading of different workspaces in the same instance.

MultiPing as a service isn't in the short-term high priority list right now. Since MultiPing has a user interface and no method to save data, the only time it would be valuable is when you're logged in and able to see what its doing. While being able to collect data without having to be logged in is handy, it's not a huge-value item for the initial audience we have targetted for MultiPing. You can probably use something like FireDaemon to start MultiPing on boot, but we've not tried it here, and don't officially "support" it yet.

We do have some plans for the future, but they are too distant to share. Right now, we're focusing on getting MultiPing complete and released, and you probably won't see a whole bunch of differences between the current beta and the 1.0 release version. Once 1.0 is out, we're definitely interested in what users need, and will be taking our products in new directions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod