Topic Options
#460 - 03/12/01 06:24 AM False Alert
CM_Tsang Offline

I set an alert condition for an IP. The condition is to send alert when there are 3 incidents over 2000ms in the last 6 pings. Max email frequency is 30 min and the duration to wait for worse condition is zero. However, I sometimes received alerts in which the most recent 6 pings, as it showed in the alert email, are below the threshold. What settings did I make it wrong to create this false alerts? <br><br>

#461 - 03/13/01 11:21 PM Re: False Alert [Re: CM_Tsang]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
As described, you should not be getting an alert without 3 samples in excess of your threshhold. Which version are you using?<br><br>

#462 - 03/14/01 08:41 PM Re: False Alert [Re: Pete Ness]
CM_Tsang Offline

I am using version 2.21 beta 3. I will send a mail to you at address support@pingplotter.com to show you the settings and the report.<br><br>

#463 - 05/20/01 12:51 PM Re: False Alert [Re: CM_Tsang]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
We've (CM_Tsang and I) have been working on isolating this problem for a while now. We finally did determine what is causing this problem.<br><br>Basically, the "Maximum samples to hold in memory" was set too low. The setup in this case had e-mails going out at maximum every 30 minutes. The "Max samples in memory" was actually set to only hold about 25 minutes worth of data at a time, so sometimes the alert would go out based on conditions that had already dropped out of memory.<br><br>To fix this problem, just change the "Max samples to hold in memory" to hold at least the amount of time your maximum e-mail frequency is, preferably a bit more (as the history files that can be included in the e-mails can actually show more data than this).<br><br>This post was really for the benefit of anyone else having this problem.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod